Hubby can't start school without cc

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by OtherTerri, Jul 10, 2001.

1. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

Hello!

I am just starting the credit clean up process. Tonight my husband attended orientation/laptob distribution at Devry, only to find out that he cannot attend without a cc! They claim they only need it as a guarantee, in case the laptop is damaged. However, it does not matter if the cc is maxed out!?

We were already going to the credit union tomorrow to ask about refinancing our van because it is with a finance co. ( Americredit 22% int).

We have had a savings acct. at the credit union for one year. Could not get checking because of Chexsystem.

Any suggestions on where we could apply and get the best chance at a "yes" for a visa or mc? We will ask the cu also. Or should we just get a secured? I am not thrilled at the prospect of an inquiry because of what I have read here.

May 29 his scores were: Tu 608, EXP 640, and Beacon 614. BK was 10 years old July 1, many items on cr. know the cu will use Beacon for auto loan.

Thanks!

Terri

2. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Has the BK dropped off his credit report? Per your suggestion I would try the credit union first. If that doesn't work I would suggest Providian or Capital One. Hope everything works out.

Dani

3. kim

kim Well-Known Member

What campus of DeVry is that? I'm in GA, going to DeVry ~ I don't think we even have that laptop distribution option. At any rate, don't they have educard at that campus, it's basically the same thing. Card for education ~ books, classes. What the diff with the laptop ~ you break, lose the computer they charge it to educard. You don't pay, you don't graduate.

4. OtherTerri

Kim -We are starting Devry in Columbus, Ohio. I will have him ask if they couldn't charge the educard if he damages the laptop. That is a great idea!

What course are you taking at DeVry?I am starting in CIS, and my husband in IT.

The credit union turned us down for a visa. They said the worst problem, besides the unpaid medical bills, is a charge off. I am going to work on trying to get that removed. The information is inaccurate "charge off amount is high credit", but we do owe it --long story. Should I dispute it as inaccurate? Or is there a better way to try to get it removed?

We have no credit cards, I am trying to analyze all the great info here to figure out where to apply. I think we will have to go secured.

Thanks,

Terri

5. kim

kim Well-Known Member

I'm a JR. in the CIS program. I think you'll get a better education in OH, than what I'm getting here.

As far as the charge-off, I'm no expert on all that dispute stuff. When I was applying for my mortgage my lender told me that I needed to pay all my debts, so I just did that and left if alone.

The only thing i've disputed on my reports are accounts with balances that should be zero balance, and duplicate accounts.

Can you get a debit card with the VISA logo?

6. kim

kim Well-Known Member

By the way ~ I got a Citibank card with around a 650 score, but all my accounts had zero balances when I applied.

7. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

I started with FCNB.. THANKS TO RONI...
    So, I would suggest them first.

They do a great job with keeping your tradelines update, that helps build credit. Also, if you wish you can add an authorized user and this will also be added to their report as well. That is always good for people who want to establish credit without having to apply, for your, kids, and etc. Also, they own speigel, eddie bauer, and newport. So, if you do well with your mastercard (secured or unsecured) they will easily approve you for their store cards later own.

Good Luck..!!

MartysGirl

8. OtherTerri

KIm-

Thanks for the information. Our credit union turned us down for a checking account, so no debit card.

Why do you think I will get a better education at DeVry in Columbus?

Terri

9. OtherTerri

A friend offered to let us use his visa number, and the school agreed to accept it, after many, many phone calls.
    Thanks to all for the help!
    Terri

10. kim

kim Well-Known Member

I know a few people here that started in Columbus. Better facilities there, professors that actually care about teaching. Here if you got to school at night (like I do) the professors seem to just be there to get an additional check, rather than to really teach us something.

11. OtherTerri

Kim,

I am so sorry to hear that. The office staff here seems to have their heads in the clouds, we have had all kinds of complications just "becoming" students. I have heard the professors are very good and very helpful. Do you like CIS? Are you in the technology field now? Is it hard? I am nervous, been out of school 25 years and 6 kids to take care of. Hope I can handle it.

Terri