I am furious!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Erica, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I now understand George's pain. I just came from my local Bon Ton store where I attempted to purchase $81 worth of merchandise. I was embarrased when the computer said declined. I knew that I had just paid my balance of $250 on 8/18 when the due date wasn't until today. So, I went to the courtesy phone and talked to a rep who informed me that my charging priviledges had been revoked for at least 90 days due to my Equifax score being below their standards. Well, some things have changed on my Equifax report, but for the better, and I didn't understand. So I asked for a supervisor. She told me the same thing and even pulled my report while I was on the phone with her. She informed me that my 2 unpaid collections from 1997 were the sole factor in revoking my priviledges. I have recently disputed these (8/01) and am sure that the DLA was changed to reflect that. So then I got her supervisor's name and extention, the VP name and phone number as well as the President (owner) name. You can be sure that I will be calling them on Monday (they all left at 5 EST.)

They gave me my card back in March of this year, after I closed one in 1997 with perfect payment history. This account also has perfect payment history since March. Always more than minimum and always before the due date.

Only one thing left to say.....WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!!

2. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Another job for Planet Feedback (I wish I could get stock in that company). I am sorry to hear you had such a frustrating day. Don't think about it over the weekend just try and relax because you can't do anything until Monday. <<<Hugs>>>

-Peace, Dave

3. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Erica,
    You need to complain about this BIG TIME and in PUBLIC via planetfeedback to BOTH the creditor and Equifax. Christine already tried to address this via planetfeedback with one of the CRA's and another of they same 'type' of complaint might get more notice if any media types or eager government officials see it. For good measure, cut and paste your complaint one more time onto a shared letter for Fair Isaac.

Do it for the Power of the People!

4. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

Erica,

I'm sorry to hear about that. I had a simiar experience with Discover a few years ago, and will never do business with them again, if for no other reason than spite. Same situation, credit admittedly a disaster, but had a perfect record with Discover. To add insult to injury, it shows on my credit report as "Account closed at request of credit grantor". That can't look good.

Keep plugging. Remember that no matter what else they can do, they can't eat you.

PS

That's not exacty what I said about Discover at the time.

5. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Posting to PFB as we speak. I am so pissed off right now that I'm surprised I haven't cut up the card yet!

BTW, I originally had this card in 12/95 and closed it in good standing around 1997. Then when I found this board in March, I asked them to reopen my account and they did. It has been paid on or before the due date, and never late.

OOOooooooohhhhh!!! this makes me so angry!

6. mirabelle

mirabelle Well-Known Member

I am so sorry...this has got to be annoying and this is exactly what I fear from Citibank and their every-2-month AR. I have a feeling it won't matter that they (Citi) have always been paid on time and I've had the account since the late 1980s. (With Citi, they don't close the account, but they jack the rate up since you're no longer worthy) (I hold my breath everytime I see one of their AR notations)

Do complain and try to find out more--seems like things should have gotten better not worse in the last 6 months CR-wise. PFB is a good idea, as well as complain, complain, complain. If nothing else, it'll make you feel better and be cathartic! Seems like ifthey are going to change creditworthiness criteria they should let you know...but I know they don't do that.

Hope you can get something resolved on Monday.

7. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

I'm furious too. That was totally uncalled for, especially with the derogatory items being 4 years old. The credit people at the store need to mind their own business.

8. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Really, everyone, this is the PRIMARY reason the scores should be available to everyone and they should be explained. We need to scream and kick about this practice of jacking rates and lowering cl's based on the creditors pulling AR's on reports other than the one they first used to approve you. If they want to go this route then they should have to keep a copy of all three (w/o inquiries hurting you) and go by whether there is a change for the negative that is "new." I'm so sick of hearing stories of people having their rates jacked. Scores fluctuate, DLA gets changed after a dispute, mistakes and errors abound on reports, files get comingled, and worse on a regular basis. It is plain WRONG that a credit card user should be humiliated in this way when trying to make a purchase. Has this particular practice ever been challenged in court??? It should be.

9. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

FYI, I PFB'd Bon Ton, Equifax, FICO, and FTC about my experience just now. Hope it works.

10. aigle

aigle Well-Known Member

They might have warned you they had put a hold on your account. What's the point of embarrassing you like that at a store?

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Yeah, really!! I would keep the card - I think you said it was an old trade line, but I don't think I would use it anymore.

12. amaineman

amaineman Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your pain, you honored your end of the bargain they did not.

Maybe it is time that we ask our local legislatures to sponsor law changes that address this. It is much easier to change lending laws on a state by state basis.

In Maine we pay $2 for credit reports, and the CRA's have 21 days to respond. Someone did their homework.

FNANB (Circuit City) pulls TU every two months.

13. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I just had a thought, since my balance is $0 on this card, and one of the benefits of having this card is to be able to return without a receipt and have the item credited to your card, I just may do that! I may return the item I bought yesterday and have them credit my account. Then I will have a -$37.00 balance. They will definately NOT earn anything on that, will they?

What would happen if I left it that way for a coupla months? I wonder...

14. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Really, everyone, this is the PRIMARY reason the scores should be available to everyone and they should be explained.
    1-No it's why FICO should totally outlawed!

We need to scream and kick about this practice of jacking rates and lowering cl's based on the creditors pulling AR's on reports other than the one they first used to approve you.
    2-Better yet ban the practice of changing the terms of an agreement you haven't defaulted on!

If they want to go this route then they should have to keep a copy of all three (w/o inquiries hurting you) and go by whether there is a change for the negative that is "new."
    3-This route should be closed -PERIOD:
    Inquires should not be reported at all.

I'm so sick of hearing stories of people having their rates jacked.
    4 -Wake up folks this is the whole purpose of FICO!

Scores fluctuate
    5-Sure they do.They are rigged in such a way it is nearly impossible to maintain a higher score because they don't want to many people getting the better terms.

DLA gets changed after a dispute, mistakes and errors abound on reports, files get commingled, and worse on a regular basis.
    6-Creditors know all this and are using it to extort the consumer out of millions and the FICO is the tool they are using to do it.
    Ever notice that the things that effect the scores the most are the errors on the reports.FICO is designed to take advantage of reporting errors and give them an excuse to bilk us.

Has this practice ever been challenged in court??? It should be.
    7-Sue them every time they use a credit report or a FICO SCORE to change the terms of an account that is not in default.

15. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Just read my agreement again:
    9. Canceling or limiting credit: We have the right to cancel or limit your credit at any time.
    10. Changes in this agreement: We have the right to change the terms of this Agreement. If we make any changes, we will notify you at least 15 days before the effective date of the change, or as required by law.Etc.

So, are those 2 statements conflicting each other?

16. lbrown59

They would most likely send U a check

17. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I would take the item back and get the credit, then they have to send you a check.

They said they would notify you of any changes 15 days prior. they did a bad thing, embarrassed you in public, made you look bad.

But if you want to keep the card for the older tradeline, I wouldn't sue them or anything, just act dumb, and don't use their card. Check your terms to see if they close your account for not using it.

Then call every now and then, check to see if you can buy some dinky-poop item, hahahaha. Be sure to call first though ;)

18. lbrown59

Yeah an take that back too!