I am in Shock! AMEX

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jen, Mar 22, 2001.

1. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Hello all. I thought I would share my Amex story with all of you. I have followed many of the Amex related posts for several months now. For some reason I got brave a couple weeks ago (March 6th) and applied for the green card. They pulled my equifax report which shows a judgment from 1995 and a 30 day late from a few years ago (the creditor is removing this but it had not been removed at the time of the application). Citibank 10,000 limit (6 months old), Auto loan, DMB 7,500, Providian $4500 Penneys $1,200, Bank LOC $1000 and a couple local Dept store cards. I did not get instant approval so I assumed the worst. My application was "processing" until yesterday. I talked to a rep to see what the delay was. She just verified my phone # and said she was gonna go ahead and approve it!! WHAT? Did I just get lucky with the rep? I was so shocked that I got right off the phone and then thought later that maybe I misheard her but nope I did get it. They said I should receive the card in 1-2 weeks. Is this normal? I thought they automatically turned people down w/ public records. All I can say is THANK YOU to Momof3, Dogman and several others for posting about their experiences and inspiring me to go for it. I know it is just a piece of plastic but I have struggled with my credit for a long time and I have made so much progress since finding this board. Still have a lot of work to do. (Unfortunately my other 2 reports are worse I got lucky that they pulled equifax). My FICO was 670. I hope this all makes sense. My mind is reeling!

2. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Congratulations, jen! That is great news. AMEX is a great company and I hope I will be a customer soon as well. Keep us informed with your experience. :)

3. Saar

Saar Banned

"Just a piece of plastic"? That's like saying a diploma is "just a piece of paper".

Congrats!

Saar

4. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Thank you both. Saar you are too funny, I am trying to contain my excitement. I am as excited about this as I was when I got my new little car 6 months ago. (also with the help of this board) :) I am looking forward to a life free of credit problems and I know I will achieve it with all the wonderful advice offered here.

5. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I thought they were good too, I even recommended them to people I knew.

Now after what they did to me, I know better. They are not one of the better companies I've done business with.

6. jen

jen Well-Known Member

May I ask what happened?

7. the other

the other Well-Known Member

See thread

http://consumers.creditnet.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=42501&t=42501

The worst part is that they didn't even inform me they were changing it back to 12.99. I thought creditors were required to inform you as to a change in terms before the new terms take effect?

The people I spoke to were actually quite rude to me as well.

8. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Oh yes I remember reading that. I am sorry that happened to you. :(

9. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the Green!

I am delighted for you. Jen, they are the most customer focused company on the planet!

People say they saw 110 posts about AMEX.
    All I can say is a $55 annual fee for COMPLETE FREEDOM -WORLDWIDE, it is great!

$55 annual fee for a guy with a Chap 13 INSTANTLY jump into PRIME.

Congrats kid - others here should apply as well.
    cya Dogman

10. Melissa

Melissa Well-Known Member

Re: Congratulations on the Gre

Congrats Jen:)

11. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Re: Congratulations on the Gre

Congrats Jen, you must be just as thrilled as I was with my approval:)

Mom

12. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

MILES!!! We're waiting 4 you

to apply. do it now miles. cmon buddy your credit is great and the bk falls off in a few months anyway!

cmon arf arf!

dogman

13. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Re: MILES!!! We're waiting 4

:) I will. For some reason, I'm just nervous. I know that sounds silly, but after being subprime for so long, rejection becomes part of everyday life. I guess I should get over it, huh? Actually, all of my negatives are gone from Equifax and Experian except for 1 30 day late. I am waiting on my snail mail Trans Union report to get here so I can look it over. I will apply Dog, I promise. ;-)

14. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Re: MILES!!! We're waiting 4

Thanks everyone. I am truly thrilled Momof3 and TRULY surprised that I actually got it. I don't post often but I was rooting for you when you got the pre-approval! I am so glad you got it. Miles, I know exactly how you feel. Every day I checked my mailbox I was expecting to find the big fat rejection letter. Ooh I hate those! I am done for a while now though. I finally have what I want as far as cards go. :) Next time I apply for credit, it will be a house! Good Luck when you apply!