I Am So Hot!!!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Erica, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

YES, I AM YELLING!!!

JUST GOT OFF OF THE PHONE WITH EXPERIAN AND ASKED THEM TO DELETE A DUPLICATE ACCOUNT. SHE REFUSED AND SAID THAT SHE HAS TO CONTACT THE CREDITOR AND VERIFY THAT THE ACCOUNT IS IN FACT A DUPLICATE!! SHE SAID HERSELF THAT THE ACCOUNT APPEARS TO BE EXACTLY THE SAME.

SO, I ASKED FOR A SUPERVISOR AND WAS TOLD THAT NO ONE WAS AVAILABLE, I THEN INFORMED HER THAT BY NOT DELETING TODAY, SHE WAS IN VIOLATION OF THE FCRA AND SUBJECT TO A $1000 FINE.

SO, INSTEAD OF GOING TO SEE MY DOG, I'M GOING TO THE COUNTY CLERK'S OFFICE TO FILE A SMALL CLAIMS SUIT.

2. jmart

jmart Well-Known Member

I think they have 30 days to investigate any claim, don't they? It seems dense for them not to just go ahead and delete one of the accounts...especially if they're identical.. I had the same problem, however.. My student loans were showing duplicate loans.. (so I had 6 on my report instead of 3).. I disputed, and they deleted in about 2 weeks after "verifying"..

jmart

3. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Ok, for clarification, I disputed both as duplicates and as not mine. They both say "verified in 8-2001" The lady said she didn't see where a dispute had been requested. Either way, they are in violation.

To whom do I address the suit? I have Thomas Anderson's name who is the president of the Allen TX office.

4. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Erica,
    I think in this case you are going to have to be patient and wait out the 30days that the FCRA gives the CB's to verify incorrect information. Despite the fact that it is obviously a duplicate they are allowed that time period to verify same. Just keep notes of who you spoke with and when. It's always better to write and send the letter certified return receipt, though, so you have proof of when the 30days would be required to start. The starting date is supposed to be upon their receipt of the dispute.

Hang in there and try not to let it get to you.

The only alternative is that if you are applying for a mortgage they will give you a fax number and the name of a person higher up so that you can rapidly take care of errors. I think they sometimes also do this for auto loans and possibly school loans. The deciding factor, I think, is the reason for the urgency. If you have a good reason to need the info updated pronto call them back and ask them for this exception.

5. jmart

jmart Well-Known Member

If I were you, I'd try a quick, possibly less painful solution first.. Call back (you'll get a different rep), and tell him/her your situation, and again ask for deletion of one of the duplicates. If he/she refuses, ask to speak to a supervisor. Don't take "There's not one available" as an answer...there IS one available..say you'll wait, unless they will give you a direct extension to reach one..

Some CSRs are more lenient than others.. Calming down and trying again may save you some time and money (court costs).. Worth a try..

jmart

6. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Sorry, Erica!

I didn't see your second post. If you PREVIOUSLY disputed the duplicate and they are still there past 30 days then you do have them on an FCRA violation, I believe.

7. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I told her I'd wait, she said that she could take a message and have someone call me back. I told her no. That I would wait.

If I do file, I will win, and then I'll have an extra $1000 or so.

8. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

========
    Careful
    Ya just might meet a dog behind the counter when you get there:LOL

9. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

UPDATE

Ok, I check CreditExpert today, and the duplicate account is gone!!! I haven't even filed suit yet, but if I do, I have evidence. I printed out the report from yesterday, and I am printing out the report from today. I still may file just to prove a point. It only cost's $10. SO, what the heck!

I guess the rep lied to me when she said she can't remove the account right then.

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Perhaps she had PMS. To think our credit is dependent on their whims and moods!!