I am so screwed - help!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by newatthis, Aug 4, 2003.

1. newatthis

newatthis Member

Ok so Here I am at the age of 23 and I am in a situation that I don't really know how to get myself out of.
    About a year ago(right out of school) I moved to a different state, got a job and then my car broke down. I went to a few dealers and at the last I was instantly persuaded into buying a used car. This guy was good at his job, and I was new to it all, naive had no family here, young, female and with NO credit so NO bargining power.
    I thought I was getting a deal.
    The car ended up being a total lemon, a 99 model
    with 69k miles(59k when I bought it 8 months ago)
    I have already had:
    Engine troubles
    Electrical troubles
    and last week my transmission went out.
    I owe $3,000 more than the cars worth and the repairs will cost $2100.
    I have a charged off credit card because I was so slow with payments, however I recently paid off that card in full and also another card(also slow payments)
    However, the charge off is still on my credit report.
    I also have been late a few times making my car payment.
    This is preventing me from getting a loan through my credit union.
    I don't even know if the car is worth repairing with its history, however I do not want to pay $5k + for a car that doesn't run.
    I don't want to file bankruptcy.
    Money is already tight as it is without this.
    Does any have ANY advice??!?!
    HELP

2. newatthis

newatthis Member

Just an update.
    Hopefully *someone has some words of wisdom.
    I just got a call from the transmission shop and they already did the work without authorization?!?!
    WHat TO DO????

3. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

They did $2100 worth of repair work without authorization?????????????

4. newatthis

newatthis Member

They sure did!!!

5. galabar

galabar Banned

You don't have to pay this. If they don't give you the car back, take them to small claims court. I believe that there are others on this board that can share similar situations.

--Galabar

6. newatthis

newatthis Member

I talked to the mechanic, and they will give me my car back, but they are trying to talk me out of it. After demanding that I want my car back and that I did not authorize this, they stated "well its not completely rebuilt yet"

Ok so thats one thing.
    I still have other issues.

7. galabar

galabar Banned

Re: Re: I am so screwed - help!

Just tell them to put it back in exactly the same state it was before they started working on it. They need to give you a working car. You need to be tough with these guys -- show no weakness.

--Galabar

8. newatthis

newatthis Member

Thank you!
    So what do you think of this(after i deal with the ******* mechanics):

Should I make payments on the car until I can save

Should I try to get a credit card to pay for the repair? If the Credit Union wont give me a loan can I get a credit card with a $2k limit?

Also If I paid off a debt, will the chargeoff still appear or does it state 'paid' or stay the same for years?

9. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Love it when the know they are screwed. I would take a witness with you, and go see what the status of your car is AT THIS MOMENT.

10. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

SPIKE is one of them.
    Haven't heard how it turned out for him yet!

11. c_indalite

c_indalite Well-Known Member

newatthis...if you are going to pay the debt in full for the charged off card, you would want to send the OC a letter stating that you will pay the debt in full for total deletion of the tradeline. Therefore you get the chargeoff off your credit report if they agree.

12. newatthis

newatthis Member

Yeah I sort of messed up and already paid the debt without bartering first, can I still get the tradeline removed? What should I do?