I burned them in BK, they approved

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by J. Vick 71, Nov 29, 2003.

1. J. Vick 71

J. Vick 71 Well-Known Member

I was wondering which credit card issuers you can burn in a BK and then they will actually take a chance on you again. And also within what time frame from the Bankruptcy.

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

DO A SEARCH FOR BK FRIENDLY CARDS...

3. NiceGuy

NiceGuy Well-Known Member

There is also a thread entitled "Blaclisted!" that may be helpful to you.

4. DanS

DanS Well-Known Member

Cap1. Included them in my Ch7, 1 year later they sent me an invitation for an unsecured card. Took it, the only new CC I've gotten since my BK 2.5 years ago.

5. J. Vick 71

Re: Re: I burned them in BK, they approved

DanS, Those FICO scores are 2.5 years since BK? Nice!

I had close to 100 negatives when I started between the 3 CRA's. I don't know if you were in as bad as shape as I was low-mid 400's on all 3.

DanS, Was your bottom in the 500's? Anything at all would be great.

6. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Cap1- included in BK for ~8k, gave me a card within 3 mos of chapter 7 for 300. Had second and third card within 2 years out. Totaled 3 cards for over 13k CL within 4 years out.

Citi/Univ - included in BK for ~8k, just received pre-approval and then card, 15k CL (almost 6 years out now).

I should note, however, I wouldn't use the term 'burned' when describing my BK. Mine was a last chance for me to get out of a really bad situation caused by a medical mistake. The term 'burned' to me sounds like it was done on purpose and I can only hope no one would do that to themsleves (or others).

Shawn

7. J. Vick 71

I fully agree with what you just said. The problem is that you can only fit so many letters in a subject. The Capital One story that you just gave is exactly what I was looking for.

Any more?

I don't just mean credit cards that you can get after a Bankruptcy, I mean the ones that you included and then they took a chance on you again. Timeframe also.

8. bev3180

bev3180 Active Member

supershawn..........did you get that att/univ in the mail as a pre-approval or apply? I always thought they were BK unfriendly period. That is good news.

9. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Citi/Univ card was a pre-approval I got in the mail.

Amex is supposed to BK-unfriendly as well, but I kept my green Amex through BK and received an Amex Blue with a 20k credit line a few months ago.

The cards I listed above were ones I included in BK (Cap One and Citi)... both at around 8k write-offs for them.

Cap one tried to get me to re-affirm during BK but it was not a good offer.....basically, they offered to 'forget about' the 8k I owed them and give me a 3k card IF I gave them 3k. On advice of my attorney, I declined.

I will be 6 years post bk first of the year. My scores are in the low 700's now.

Shawn

10. 1ShyGuy

1ShyGuy Active Member

I included Nordstrom in my BK. Afterwards I had to talk to their CSRs because it wasn't reporting right on my credit reports. For a company that was included in the BK, the reps were very helpful. They told me that Nordstrom would issue me a credit card again with a good post-BK credit history. (i.e., their approval process was strictly score-driven, and I wouldn't have to pay Nordstrom back any of the money that was discharged.)

I haven't tested this yet becuase I now live in an area without a Nordstrom. But Jim, who used to be on this board, said it worked for him.

11. Brad J

Brad J Well-Known Member

I was approved for a nordstroms card with a BK, scores were "almost" 690 on EQ

12. J. Vick 71

Brad J, did you burn Nordstroms first in a BK before being approved? That was what I was looking for.

13. J. Vick 71

Has anyone burned Target, or Circut City or Providian or etc. in a BK and then was approved with the BK still on the report? If you did what time frame was it done in.

14. DanS

DanS Well-Known Member

Providian, I suspect, is BK paranoid.

Had an account w/them, zero balance, did not include them in my Ch7. They canceled me. That makes sense, got my AR and there was a BK.

This blew me away. A few months ago - like 2 years post BK and getting my Prov account canceled, I applied for another Providian card. Instant rejection and NO inquiry on any CR. The consensus here was that Prov keeps an internal list.

It appears I've been blacklisted and I never burnt them for one penny!

15. Peachkiwi

Peachkiwi Well-Known Member

The following issuers who have issued me a credit prior to bankruptcy and I've since reapplied almost 10.5 years later are: Nordstrom, Citi, and Amex. Nordstrom was the only one who reissued me a credit card. For the most part, Citi and Amex never forgets!

16. Brad J

Brad J Well-Known Member

J. Vick,

Sorry. To answer your question, Nordstrom was not included in my BK.

17. bev3180

bev3180 Active Member

supershawn...........sorry to pester you to death but you have had some of the best success at credit after BK. I am several years out also and plan to try for a better card.

Is your BK still on the CRA's or did you dispute it off?

I would like to try for Att/Univ or perhaps Citi, who will consider BK according to the creditnet list. I am 8 years out with no lates on my sub-prime cards. Probably a phone app is best in this situation so you can discuss it rather than get a auto-reject from the online app. Agree?

18. lisae1

lisae1 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the stupid question, but how do you dispute off a bankruptcy?

19. teresa

teresa Well-Known Member

bump...

20. J. Vick 71

O.K I burned Household in a BK and they approved me for $5000 last week. Anyone else????