I called the FTC today, fyi

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Black77, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Black77

Black77 Member

this has to do with a collection agency masking their own name on caller ID and using several names (a food company, amusement company, leasing company, etc) .

I posted about this a couple of weeks ago. This CA changes the last 2 digits of their phone number each time they call and a different name appears on caller ID.

FTC said they are in violation of this:

Section 807(14) prohibits the "use of any business, company, or organization name other than the [collector's] true name."

1. Permissible business name. A debt collector may use a name that does not misrepresent his identity or deceive the consumer. Thus, a collector may use its full business name, the name under which it usually transacts business, or a commonly-used acronym. When the collector uses multiple names in its various affairs, it does not violate this subsection if it consistently uses the same name when dealing with a particular consumer.

FTC said we could send a C&D or hire an attorney.

I now have 5 documented instances of this occuring.

I also asked several times if this could pertain to caller ID...each time it was a yes without hesitation.

It all goes back to misrepresetation.

2. keepmine

keepmine Well-Known Member

Can you get the person you spoke with at the FTC to send you a letter to that affect?

3. Black77

Black77 Member

I will call them back tomorrow. I have taken digital photos,etc of the numbers listed on the caller id unit.

Interestingly, if this was a telemarketer selling something, the company would be guilty of violating telemarketing laws.

4. connorw

connorw Well-Known Member

Black77 -- This came up in another thread, any chance you were able to get something from the FTC?

5. lsmith15

lsmith15 Well-Known Member

most of the calls I get from CA seems that they block out the caller ID number or it says no info transmitted .........I wish I could see who is calling but when I get a blocked call on my caller ID I know its a collection agency