I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!! MOMof3!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by AnnMarie, Mar 15, 2001.

1. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!
    5k!!
    I got an AAdvantage GOLD!
    Does this mean my credit is getting better???????? Woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!
    Okay, my credit gurus, what do I do NOW to improve my account and make my life EVEN better??
    THANK YOU ALL! YOU ROCK!

2. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Re: I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!! MOMof3

Way to go AM! Congrats!

-Dave

3. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

If your limit is $5k, spend up to 25% of your limit, and continuously pay at least double the minimum and continue to hold that much continuously to build good credit.. I believe it's better to carry a balance and prove you can make payments than paying the entire amount off monthly.

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Good for you:)

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Congrats to you, gotta love your name it's mine name as well:)

There are several things you can do to help your credit. You had mentioned you were going to balance transfer, how much are you going to do. They will give 6.9 for six months, you could transfer 1500 which would have you using 30% of your limit and then pay that off within 6 months, if that's not possible than your min payments on 1500 would be around 32.00, so you can decide what you want to pay each month, I wouldn't suggest paying just the min, that is kinda defeating the purpose of the BT, but of course that's up to you. You may just want to do the BT and not put anything else on the card until that's paid off. And if you have the money it would be around 250.00 a month plus interest to have that paid in the 6 month period.

Also after you have had the card a few months I suggest you call and ask for an APR reduction on purchases, most have gotten their rates down to 12.9 and some 12.4, better than 19.4 which is their current. I went for the 12.9 fixed rate, I did this b/c eventually the rates will go up and that way I am fixed with that rate, but that's jusy my personal opinion on that.

Congrats again you should get your card in about 8 days:)

6. AnnMarie

Thank you so much! I was actually shocked when it came back...and came back at 5k. I just stared at the screen. I don't know what I filled out last time, but this app was totally different, started by asking me if I had other Citi cards and went from there.
    What I'm wondering about is if I should call and try to upgrade? From doing a search, it looks like if you go to "platinum select" there's no annual fee and the initial interest is lower. Since I just got the card approval & number online today, is that an option or do I wait until I physically have the card? Is the upgrade an auto approval? The posts I read were kind of confusing :)
    You cannot know how much I appreciate you and everyone else here for making this board so great :)
    Thanks again!
    AnnMarie

7. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Roni, Sam others may know

Yes the platinum has no annual fee and the interest rate is lower. I never upgraded myself though, I had the platinum for over a year and then got the gold card. I am not sure what time frame others used, you may want to wait a bit but I am not 100% sure, others can probably tell you better what they actually did, many have upgraded here. I do believe though that it is instant approval over the phone when you do upgrade. I hope others see this and give you their experience:)

8. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Re: Roni, Sam others may know

i upgraded instantly to the platinum select, the apr dropped to 16.9% and they credited my annual fee back instantly.

4 months later, called retention, got the card down to prime+2.9%

Might have to apply for another citi card when mine has gotten over 6 months old.

9. AnnMarie

And this is the Platinum Select, not the AAdvantage one, right? I saw a post from (roni?) that said the Select one OR the Platinum Dividend. Does this sound about right?
    thanks!
    am

10. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Citibank platinum select - lowest fee- no annual fee. The dividend select is about 4-5% higher apr than the platinum select. Affinity or rewards cards are always higher.

If you plan to carry a balance, get the platinum select.

Also, even if you aren't offered a balance transfer, you can ask and receive one :) I only got 6.9% for 6 months, but its better than nothing!

11. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Or the Dividend

I have both, the regular platinum select and the Divendend platinum select card. They have similiar interest rates and the dividend card gives you money back up to $300..it's like 1% back up to $300 of purchases. YOu can read all about it at their website.

roni