I Did It!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by roni, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Congrats Roni.....

You deserve it.

Temple is still a low tier law school, that i am looking at. (has always loved those Temple Owls)

But I am leaning more towards UNC-Chapel Hill

Great Job

2. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

ITALICS RULE

Congratulations, Roni! :) You deserve it! :)

Randy

3. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

What is your advice to others?

What did you learn?

What is your next step?

4. Candi

Candi Well-Known Member

Roni,
    Congratulations. So, you went from bad credit to good credit and bought a home in 18 months? That is great. Could you tell those of us who are new here, what you had on your credit to start with and what it looks like now? It would really help to see how far youve come. I did a search of your posts but you have way to many to read. You have been here a long time. CONGRATULATIONS again.
    Candi

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Roni,

I was searching on Ethan Allen on this website yesterday and came across one of your postings from a while ago where you said you were working on your credit so you could by a house in 2002. I laughed out loud, because I knew you were closing this week. Your experience with rebuilding your credit is a wonderful example of how hard work pays off in the end. Welcome to the homeownership club. It's great. I'm soooooo happy for you.

God Bless,

Newcomer

6. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

WOW!

YOU GO GIRL!

CONGRATULATIONS! RONI!!!!

Cypri:)

7. kbelle72

kbelle72 Well-Known Member

CONGRATS!!!!!

8. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS RONI!!!!!!!

You are a very strong woman and I am sooo happy for you!! Don't leave us out in the cold...please keep posting your experiences! Good Luck and happy shopping!!

Yes, Dave is crazy! LOL.

9. roni

roni Well-Known Member

My bad credit stemmed from defaulted student loans and not paying a few bills while I was in professional school. I was unemployed and broke for years and I didnt have ANY credit at all. That was my biggest mistake. I charged off 3 credit cards right after undergrad college. I paid 2 of those off (Hechts and Discover) and the hechts fell off years ago and the Discover was just removed this month.

When I started credit repair, by pulling my credit reports for the first time ever, I had defaulted student loans all over the place..that I knew about but I was fighting the defaults with the lender. I used the Ombudsmans dept of the US Dept of Ed and got those off. It took exactly one year to get results but it eventually was removed from ALL 3 BUREAUS.

My credit report looked like this in 2/2000, when i sent out my first disputes:

1- 9 defaulted student loans
    2- 1 charged off Discover
    3- 1 gas company collection
    4- 1 arrow financial collection
    5- 1 bell atlantic phone collection

So you can see I had about 14 negatives and NO positives except for a FNBM that I opened in 4/99 and capital one opened in 11/99 both SECURED.

I have not missed a payment on any accounts since that time. I loaded my credit reports with positive items while I disputed so those accounts would age. I opened PROVIDIAN, FCNB, ORCHARD, FIRST PREMIER.....I had em all. I made a little calendar so I didnt forget to mail a payment.

I ran up alot of inquiries so my credit score suffered a little temporarily. My plan was and has always been to have many positives to out way the negatives...over time the older accounts will improve my scores.

Citibank and Chase were the biggest help to me by giving me my first strong credit lines.

Through dispute and negotiation, I got ALL that crap above off or it fell off on its own. It was hard and frustrating. I just sent out new disputes every 3-4 months until i got tired.

My first goal was a car loan. Did that. Next was a home. Did that. My next goal is to just enjoy life. Credit isnt everything.....LOL....

10. Candi

Candi Well-Known Member

Wow! Roni, you rock.

11. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

Roni, can you send me the info about the ombudsman? I think I need it. I have 5 student loans which are Paid Collections but still reporting as I9s (charge offs).

thanks for the info.

12. Debmac

Debmac Well-Known Member

Only 18 mos?

You are AWESOME!!!!

Deb

13. EdG

EdG Well-Known Member

roni,
    Great job. You give us all hope. I would be interested in hearing how you got rid of the defaulted student loans. I have the same number of loans you did. The are now listed as paid collections on all except Equifax(they deleted them). Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ed

14. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I suggest you dispute them. The ombudsmans office cant help you if your default was accurate. The reporting of I9 stays whether they are paid or not. There is no code for Paid vs unpaid collections. My defaults were deleted long by disputing them repeated. Junum got 3 off in November when I briefly used their services.

Finally in April 2001, the lender agreed to remove the defaults formally with an agreeement with the dept of ed (the default was THEIR technically/paperwork error). But I didnt wait for that. Forget consumer statements too. Never do that. Dispute until you die. You will find out that persistance is the key.

I also have to comment that I paid some of these collections. That made them 100% easier to get off by no verification. I NEVER went the validation route.

15. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Sounds FINE!!!!

warmest personal congrats roni - arfingly yours
    Dogman