I have 2 questions

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by frankowes, Aug 8, 2001.

1. frankowes

frankowes Well-Known Member

1. I called transunion today to ask how long my unpaid tax lien would stay on my report. She said 10 years from the date it was filed. I forgot to ask her but I thought I read somewhere that if you are a resident of california, and you pay it, it get's deleted 7 years from the date it was filed. Does anybody know about that? I disputed this last week on the basis of it being outdated. My credit report has 08/93 on it but I think it was filed before that. They haven't verified it yet.

2. I'm confused about dates. I have a collection account from 1999. Now, if I pay this will it restart the 7 years again. Wasn't there a law that debts before 97' would restart the clock....or something like that. I've been trying to deal with these people but they won't budge.

By the way I've managed to get 2 deletions on all of my reports. Now I'm just dealing with these other two problems.

And I have this paid collection from this rinky dink little teeny tiny barbie collection agency....it's like a really bad toothache...for 80.00. I've been trying to get them to delete this but they keep verifying and verifying and I write them and they are *******s.

see ya

2. frankowes

Okay I just found this.........from hal I think.

"What I've been able to determine is this....

1. If the debt occurred before 1/1/1998, then it's seven years from the date of the last payment (so if you pay it then the clock starts over)

2. If the debt occurred after 1/1/1998, then it's seven years from the chargeoff collection attempt etc. regardless of when you pay.

I am in no way offering legal advice. This is my interpretation of the statute as I have read it and as such is open to misinterpretation.

Does anyone else view this differently?"

Thanks

3. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

I may be wrong about this, but I believed I read on Equifax's website that a unpaid tax lien can stay on indefinitely unless your a resident of California then it stays on ten years. A paid tax lien, on the other hand, is deleted after seven years.

Dani

4. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Frank,

I may have the years confused for California and paid tax liens. I will double check Equifax's website before I'll say it is true.

Dani

5. frankowes

Residents of california 10 years if unpaid, 7 years if paid. The part I'm confused about is I swear I read somewhere if you do pay it and you are a california resident it will come off 7 years from the date filed. I should call transunion back, then I'm gonna call equifax. But I'm gonna call the az state tax board right now.

6. kbelle72

kbelle72 Well-Known Member

Frank,

I can't remember where I read it, but there is some difference for CA residents..... Is it in the statute.