I have a problem with Capital

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by roni, Nov 12, 2000.

1. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I have 3 accounts with capital one and 1 with providian. I know- way too many capital ones. But anyway, these are all classic cards. I would prefer gold cards. I was told that upgrades to gold/plats are by invitation only. My question is how do you get an invitation like beside the usual waiting. Anyone have any experiences with sweezing an upgrade to Gold out of providian. Cap 1, I think is a lost cause. And if my oldest credit card account wasnot not with them, I would close all three on the drop of a dime. I only have $600 on three cards combined. So any ideas? Roni wants to know.

roni.

2. Michael

Michael Guest

RE: I have a problem with Capi

My only sujestion Roni,

Try and bluff with Cap One that your thinking of closing all of the accounts as they are too hard to manage.

Tell them your gonna apply for a Providian Gold Card which your confident you will get, see how bad they want to keep you as a client.

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Mike. cap1 a no what about pro

I tried with cap1. they gave me increases on the credit limit. Said they couldnot give me a gold card. So I was wondering about providian. Do you know.

roni.

Michael wrote:
    -------------------------------
    My only sujestion Roni,

Try and bluff with Cap One that your thinking of closing all of the accounts as they are too hard to manage.

Tell them your gonna apply for a Providian Gold Card which your confident you will get, see how bad they want to keep you as a client.

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Just a thought

I realize that Cap 1 is your oldest tradeline correct?? But where does Providian fall in, you have your citibanks and your chase, just trying to understand why providian seems so important to keep?? Just curious that's all:)

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: Just a thought

I had it since 4/00. Here is a short recap.

FNBM: 4/99-4/00 closed 4/00
    Cap1VS: 11/99
    F.Prem: 3/00
    Prov: 5/00
    Orchard 4/00
    FCNB: 4/00 closed 10/00
    Optima 5/00
    cap1MC: 8/00
    Cap1VS: 8/00
    Chase: 9/00
    CitiMC:9/00
    Citigold 9/00

what you think?

Momof3 wrote:
    I realize that Cap 1 is your oldest tradeline correct?? But where does Providian fall in, you have your citibanks and your chase, just trying to understand why providian seems so important to keep?? Just curious that's all:)

6. molly

molly Well-Known Member

my thoughts

Well maybe you could close two of the capital one cards. Keep the oldest. Then re-apply for the gold card online. Then maybe you could combine. I don't know if you can do that or not. We had this discussion a couple of weeks ago and I don't remember what was decided. Anyways I have had my classic green Capone card for two years in December and I just got the gold cap one card in Oct of this year. I am planning on waiting 6 months and then try to combine so I can keep my history. Oh yeah my green card is secured, I deposited $200 and have only had one increase of $100 in two years. But I don't care for an increase now that I have citi.

7. molly

molly Well-Known Member

Did you get rid of Speigel??

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: my thoughts

Hi molly,
    thanks. I found out that I can combine after 6 months with my new cap cards. But I didnot want to another inq. Oh well. since cap 1 doesnot report credit limits I would rather keep providian, because my credit limit with them is 2,600 in just 6 months from $500. And they do report it. I am caught in the middle. cap 1 is the worse negotiator but it is my longest account opened. I may just say screw it and close all three and take chance with fico maintaining itself without them. Unfortuantely I didnot start building credit until 4/99 when my sl defaulted in slapped me into reality.

roni.

9. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Well it appears you have 10 accounts open. F Prem, Orchard and Prov are kind of close time wise, maybe dump 2 of them?? I'm not sure I just keep hearing everybody say 4-5 tradelines blah blah, so I guess that is how my mind is working. I know you want to keep the oldest which appears to be Cap1vs11/99, but with citi's cards and chase I don't think you need any of the other ones, except maybe Optima to keep in good with Amex. But that's just my thoughts, I am sure others will have a different view

10. roni

roni Well-Known Member

No, I have it. Eboni said it is a keeper. Big increases and they report the credit limit. did you?

molly wrote:
    Did you get rid of Speigel??

11. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I think you are right mom. That is why I wrote the statement below. sometimes I feel like saying screw it no matter what and just close 1 account per month. no matter how much the customer reps whine.

roni,

12. molly

molly Well-Known Member

I just called today and was approved for $400. I applied online exactly two weeks ago.

13. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Spiegel? excellent molly. Our credit reports will be twins soon. We will only have to pull one score from now on. lol.

roni.

14. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Roni

Yes we discussed before me paying off my assocaites but keeping it open, but Aria 6/99 is my oldest tradeline of all my credit cards and I have the Helig Meyers account from 98. So once I pay this off I am closing it pronto and closing fidelity too. I just need for Citi to show limits on Experian, here anymore on that? Do I have to call and request them to report it??

15. molly

molly Well-Known Member

I received an offer in the mail from Providian in September(before Citi)for up to $3000 Gold Visa. I sent it in, because of the quick limit increases. Well I am still waiting for it. I had to send in a copy of my phone bill and I.d. and ss#. It's been almost 2 months. I called and asked the rep what my credit limit would be and she said $3000. I doubt that. Anyways I am not getting off to a good start with them. I'm going to close my Orchard card in January or Febuary and then Target.

16. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: Roni

I called but they didnot change it yet. I really havenot followed up on it. But I assume you would have to call them to aleast let them know you are concerned about it. I did a request over the phone and the rep was really nice. I will have to call experian and see what they say.

roni.

Momof3 wrote:
    Yes we discussed before me paying off my assocaites but keeping it open, but Aria 6/99 is my oldest tradeline of all my credit cards and I have the Helig Meyers account from 98. So once I pay this off I am closing it pronto and closing fidelity too. I just need for Citi to show limits on Experian, here anymore on that? Do I have to call and request them to report it??

17. roni

roni Well-Known Member

molly,
    I plan to close orchard and first premier at their 1 year anniversary. I just dont get Orchard. They are supprime as they come with a snotty attitude. Screw 'em. I just might close all my capital one accounts except the oldest one. The only card I pull outnow are my citi's anyway.

roni.

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I had three AVCO (LATER SOLD TO HOUSEHOLD) VISA AND M/C's (1980'S).

I had them combined into one M/C and the guy closed the other two accounts and then said your credit line is to low even with all into one and said you now have an extra $5,000 more right now!!!

JUST FOR POINT OF INFORMATION...IT MAY NOT WORK NOW DAYS.

19. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

I got the Cap 1 marble greenie in 11/99. In August, they sent me an upgrade certificate in the mail - upgrade to a gold card and double my credit limit.

The stated that they admired the way that I was handling my account.

- I would pay the bill the same day I received it in the mail, paying it 2-3 weeks before the due date.
    - I would pay around $100-150 when the minimum payment was $15.

Maybe this got me the upgrade to gold!
    Just speculating!

chet

20. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I did that also chet. But, I have had no lates but 3 over the limits with them in 1 year.