I just closed my Providian Visa :)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by sirrowan, Sep 30, 2003.

1. sirrowan

sirrowan Well-Known Member

Wooohooo!

Providian did not offer me anything. They just spouted off crap about how I had accident insurance, etc. so could they keep my account open? Noooo. "Well, you can use your card for hotel reservations, etc., so could we keep your account open?" Nooooo. 'Well, can we keep your account open?" NOOOOOO.

They have made almost every one of my payment due dates on either a Sunday or a Holiday. This means that one cannot make a payment on these days. Providian says that if your payment due date falls on a Sunday or Holiday, then it is due the previous business day. Not anymore! I am done with them!

Now to get my security deposit back. I sent in a check/money order (money order I believe) for $150. Providian's auto account info says that my savings account balance is $50 and some change. Huhh??

I have copies of everything that I sent in.

2. willgator

willgator Well-Known Member

good for you they blow.......

3. iambroke

iambroke Well-Known Member

WOO HOO...sounds like my providian card I HAD...they tried everything to keep me with them just like you said (insurance, etc....). Finally after stating NO NO NO CLOSE IT OUT!!! I got results...

They are such a waste of my time!

4. faztcobra

faztcobra Well-Known Member

I too have closed Providian...just in the last 2 weeks. They are worthless...2 years with them and 2 accounts and they offer me NOTHING. I went to close my accounts and they had the highest apr and lowest cl of any of my accts by 6% and 3K. That was the last of my subprime cards. Once subprime, always subprime. With a wallet of BofA, Amex, and Chase, it was good riddance! You won't miss them!

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

WIFE'S US BANK DUE DATE IS ALMOST ALWAYS SATURDAY OR SUNDAY...you would THINK that they would have the computer program know if the due date falls on SATURDAY or SUNDAY change the due date to THE FRIDAY BEFORE!!!

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I applied with a 739---DENIED!!!

7. sirrowan

sirrowan Well-Known Member

Back earlier this year (I think), Providian changed their website. One could no longer make same day payments for free. One is now charged something like $9.95.

With most places, which is the norm, if a payment due date falls on a recurring nonbanking day or a holiday, the payment due date is moved to the next business day/banking day. NOT with Providian!

All of a sudden, I would get online to make a payment and realize that even though I was attempting to make a payment on my due date, my payment wouldn't be posted until the day AFTER my due date because my due date was not a day in which business is transacted.

So let us say that my payment is due on Sunday. I get online Friday to apply my payment on Saturday. Nope, can't do that. Attempt to apply on Sunday. Nope, can't do that. Payment will not be applied until Monday so I get hit with a late fee. What B.S.

Same thing happens with Holidays....

I believe that Providian does this purposefully, so they maximize their profits through late and over the limit fees.

8. catnap1972

catnap1972 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: I just closed my Providian Visa :)

And give up all those late fees?

SURELY YOU JEST!!!

9. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I know that FirstUSA (and I believe BofA as well) will post payments on a weekend. In fact, my husband mailed a payment on Saturday and it was posted the next day (Sunday)! I didn't even think they got mail on Sundays, but they must have a special deal.

Good riddance!

10. 420greg

420greg Well-Known Member

Searching for advice on what to do with my paid in full providian card is what lead me to these forums. I

I just paid off my Providian Visa thank god!
    This card is like a curse, and at one point I had 2 of them (paid off and closed the other with a home re-fi).

Besides all the BS with there due dates and late fees, they kept sucking me in, giving me more credit, and then sneaking those little notes in my bill about my rate going up. Hard to see them when they are mixed in with all the marketing crap.

Before I knew had 8k with them at 23.99 and was always near my limit. 23.99 is almost impossible to pay down.

My first thought was to close it. I mean this card really sucks.

My only reasons to keep it is it is one of my oldest cards and looks good for time of credit (perfect payment history no overs). Not sure if the 0/4400 is a good thing or bad thing for your score.

I am trying to get my score up to go car shopping in a year or so. I am a EQ 631 now, and I am shooting for 700 in a years time.

So in the short term, what is the best for my score?

Should it stay? or should it go?

11. Brad J

Brad J Well-Known Member

IF your planning on buying, er, financing a car, better to hold it for the history. It will really help with history and B/L ratios, both good for your FICO, after you get the car, dump 'em.