I messed up...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by fireclan, Aug 13, 2003.

1. fireclan

fireclan Member

I have a collection account for MCI, as per the Collection Agency they claim they do not have the power to remove the listing on my report even after I pay the whole debt off, which I had agreed was mine, because it is, besides that first blunder, They also claim I can not dispute the debt because I had acknowledge already that it is mine, I agreed verbally over the phone, not on paper. Besides this I want to pay this debt off, but was truly put off by the collector calling me every week. P*SS POOR ATTITUDE, so the last time I spoke to the collector, I told him sine it is going to take the 7 yrs. fall off my report I don't have to pay this off right away.
    (I think I messed up).
    You think???
    Please advise!!

Thank you.

2. BrettS

BrettS Well-Known Member

Talking to collectors on the phone in general is a bad idea. Typically they record their conversations, so most likely they have you on tape somewhere admitting that the debt is yours. Depending on what you said you could always claim that you were mistaken and you thought they were talking about a different debt with a different company and in actuality you don't believe this debt is yours. But like I said, that may or may not fly if you said too much. At this point I would stop talking to them on the phone... either get caller id and don't take their calls or hang up when you realize it's them. Send a cease and desist letter and request validation. You might have a hard time getting validation from them because they'll claim that you already admitted the debt is yours, but I believe that they are still required to provide it if requested.

HTH,
    Brett

3. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Send a cease and desist letter and request validation.
    BrettS
    =============
    It may entice them to sue.
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

4. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Don't send a total cease and desist. Send a letter saying that you want to be contacted only in writing, no phone calls. If you do a total cease and desist, the only option they have is to sue you. The cease and desist doesn't protect you from that.

5. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

messed up...

1*I had agreed was mine, because it is,
    2*P*SS POOR ATTITUDE,
    3*so the last time I spoke to the collector,

fireclan=
    ===============
    1*This is what I call the screw yourself 7 year plan.
    2*Normal CA mind set
    3*Why are you lettin em screw you on the phone?
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''