I must rant....

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by David, Apr 27, 2001.

1. David

David Well-Known Member

....for a while--can't take my frustrations out on the kids or the dog, so I'll do it here.

A little background: I'm a loan officer, never filed BK, and haven't had a late payment since 1995. I have a FICO of around 633 (give or take, depending on who is spitting out the number).

My wife, on the other hand, filed a Ch 13, discharged in 1996 (legitimately--i.e. divorce).

So, I consolidate on the mortgage back in October, 2000; saving myself $400 a month and tons of interest.

Go to refi at Bank America; can't do it because of a Sprint account for $68 turned over to TWO CA's.

Also have a PAID collection from a $86 doctor bill that I paid to the hospital within three months of the billing, but somehow this got turned over to a local CA--whom I never even heard from during the time the bill was due (and paid).

Sent my 3 validation letters this past Monday (one to the local for the $86, two to the CA's for Sprint).
    Got a response from the local today: a computer generated letter that basically says nothing, along with the account sheet from the hospital.

And here my FICO sits at 633--give or take. So I go to Eloan to check; "Your score will improve by 1 point the next month due to normal aging of your bureau".

Blow me.

What drives me to drink are the posts I come across that brag about a Ch 7 discharged in '00, or '99, and THEIR FICO IS BETTER THAN MINE?

Or other posts that state "I had 15 derogs removed from my bureau--ALL COLLECTIONS!!!".

On top of it all, I'm always very careful to not have
    excessive inquiries; that changed tonight--I APPLIED FOR 3 CREDIT CARDS ONLINE.

No instant approvals--let the turndown letters begin!

Sometimes I want to go "you know, I've worked for 6 years to make sure nothing is ever late, EVER, EVER, EVER--piss on you, I'll pay you when I damn well feel like it."

Sorry for the rant--

Anyone else feel like their forever stuck in the subprime salvage yard? I do

Signing off--

David

2. myong

myong Active Member

No problem with the "rant". The boards are here for credit discussion. If you need to vent, feel free, you'll find that your not the only one who's frustrated with the way the credit system works.

3. nelsonfan

nelsonfan Well-Known Member

incorrect items on our credit repor

David, I just wanted to know if you were married to your wife at the time of her bk? Just curious. I called a credit card company the other day and was talking to the girl, about credit reports and fico scores. GET THIS!! She told me she kept getting turned down for CC's, so she checked her credit report. To her great surprise, the report said she had a credit card that had bad marks on it. She had never ever had a CC and that the CC was issued to her in 1970. She said she wasn't even born until 1980!!!!!!!!!!How about that??So I decided to get my CC report. I can just imagine whats on mine!! Sorry, about the crappy way you are being treated. I have found out in the last 3 weeks, checking out credit websites, that these CCC's just pick and choose what to give people and what to say to them. They are ALL scammers. It doesn't matter how good you are at paying and being on time. They don't care. Thanks for letting me give a little rant. Get me started on First USA and I will really rant. Good luck David.

4. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

Rant away!

I know how you feel - at least the feeling of being stuck in sub-prime hell forever part. If it makes you feel better. I won't be able to get prime until my bk falls off. It's been 9 yrs. Only one more year to go. :)

I guess I'll just keep working with my sub-prime cards to get them to reduce rates.

Kelly

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

David:

Knock off the whining. Act like a man not a boy. Learn from the board and share your experiences.

P.S. - I hope you didn't apply for AMEX, Juniper and Diners Club.

6. Crdt Dfnse

Crdt Dfnse Well-Known Member

Jim:
    Geezers, pal, lighten up! Clearly David is both expressing an opinion (â??experiencesâ?) AND is here to learn from the board (others). Now Iâ??d go on to detail the need for compassion, albeit youâ??ve done a good job of stating the obvious.

7. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Anthony,

We all have accomplishments in life we want to be remembered for. Such as being remembered as:

Jim - UCLA Graduate - Class of 1981

NOT

Jim - BK 1999 and bragging in 2001

This "rant" thread is really unacceptable to me. I haven't seen anyone here bragging.

8. Crdt Dfnse

Crdt Dfnse Well-Known Member

Jim:
    (GO Bruins!)
    I can appreciate your sentiments, in the context of bragging for attention. Albeit, we must realize (yes must as a requisite of dealing with the limitations of web posts) consider that some may not articulate as well as others. The point being is that perhaps David wasnâ??t bragging, per se, but expressing frustration as best he could? [;-)

9. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Re: incorrect items on our credit repor

What she should learn about is a little known set of jury instructions known as Ultra-varies.

Ultra-varies demands that the jury take the amount of money earned by the defendant during the last year and the amount of money earned by the plaintiff during the last year, subtract the smaller from the larger and award 60% of the difference to the plaintiff.

Your girlfriend wouldn't have to worry about any credit cards for a long time.

She would win the case before it went to court.

Bill Bauer
    bbauer1@netzero.net

10. David

David Well-Known Member

....ah, raw nerves--nothing like skating across those.

I used to think that there was a big myth about bankruptcy out there--you know, the one where people whisper to each other "....look at so-and-so, they filed bankruptcy last year, and they're driving a brand new whatever..."; fill in your own story. We've all heard the variation.

However, I was under the delusion (quite obviously) that it was always better to pay your bills/get caught up (suck it up, consolidate, get a second job--whatever) than to file--that your credit would be better in the long run than someone who chose, or was forced, to file.

I even thought that way up until a couple of months ago.

But, I WAS WRONG.

It's proven with Jim's situation. BK 1999, better credit score than mine, 2001.

And my wife's: discharged Ch. 13, 1996, better score than mine, 2001. (as evidenced by the new Target, Stage, Lowe's, and K's merchandise cards she's received in the last 60 days).

Jim said it himself in another post--he used to think that a bankruptcy was like dropping a nuclear bomb on your credit bureau.

No, obviously getting behind five years ago and working overtime to get caught up is the nuclear blast.

How ironic.

Whining? Call it (or me) what you want.

Doesn't change my opinion--or rant--one whit.

David

11. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

David

You sound just like my husband. He lamented this weekend that he was a complete sap for buying into the old addage that if you stay clean and work hard all your life, you will get ahead. FAT CHANCE! All you get is screwed.

12. nelsonfan

nelsonfan Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth!!!!!Sorry about the english. I think David has a legitimate complaint.

13. hurricane5

hurricane5 Well-Known Member

David,
    I feel your pain...I've never filed for BK, but I too was held to believe that if you paid all of your bills (on time or late) that it was better than filing BK...but I see "Friends" of mine that do it, and are in a much better position (creditwise) than me...I have paid EVERYTHING off and have NO DEBT, but when I look at my FICO score, I know it's a good thing I make a very good salary and can afford to pay cash for most things, because I probably couldn't get a Dollar Store CC (do they actually have those??) at this point. My only saving grace is that I've found this board (and another that is much more Politically Correct than this one :) and I've just started using Junum to clear up the attrocity that is my CR...we'll see what happens!

My mini-rant for today,
    Hurricane

14. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

15. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

David,

dont stop now! it appears to me that the CA reporting the hospital bill is in violation of the FCRA, FDCPA. The sprint bill? What are the dates? You've only just begun.

re ranting - forgive me, but this reminds me of the time the underwriter's kid got turned down for insurance, hehe. She was furious, couldn't figure it out.

It isn't fair - don't pay an overdue bill and it goes away. Pay it and it stays on your report for 7 more years. Go bankrupt, you'll have CC offers in the mail in a short time, struggle and pay them all, nobody wants you. Go figure. They don't think we can figure it out - they think we're all stupid.

breeze

You said:
    Sent my 3 validation letters this past Monday (one to the local for the $86, two to the CA's for Sprint).
    Got a response from the local today: a computer generated letter that basically says nothing, along with the account sheet from the hospital.

16. hurricane5

hurricane5 Well-Known Member

lb..I was talking about www.fool.com ... they have a pretty good discussion board about credit cards,etc -- actually I was on that one first and then lizardking came on and put a link to creditnet...both boards serve their purpose...I just think this board is much more "proactive" when it comes to dealing with CRA, CC companies, etc..

Hurricane

17. Matt

Matt Active Member

1 Point a Month 12 Point a Year. 120 Points in 10 Years!!!! Long time to wait.. just thinking how Point now Control our lives. Stinks!!!

18. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Thanks
    I have been on their site

19. CF

CF Active Member

David,

Be patient my man. When your score improves it improves quickly. Based on my experience collections need to age before they quit affecting your score. I was in the same boat until recently. I just went to a car dealer and they gave me an A rating. My score went from 630 to 695 in about a 4 month period. Hang in there your hard work will pay off eventually.

CF

20. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

David.....yes, hang in there! There's many things in life that could be done easier...faster..cheaper. Whatever it is, the way it's done has to be okay with you! It was NOT okay for me to BK, that was a choice I made and I'm okay with it. Many others go another route and that is their decision--not right, wrong or indifferent but theirs--only they know what is or is not okay with them.
    Yeah, I coulda BK'd a bunch of stuff and been better off possibly right now on my score but ya know? I didn't--and that's the best decision FOR ME.I feel good about my decision and that's what it comes down to--ya gotta live with your own decisions.
    Make sense?
    AnnMarie