I need help please!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by worried, Jul 26, 2000.

1. Pat McGarr

Pat McGarr Guest

RE: To Renae

worried happens to reside in Florida, and my uncle happens to live in florida and practices bankruptcy law. In this case, I think he'll be adequate.

2. wahala

wahala Guest

RE: I need help please!!! ME T

I just got one of those letters from a collection agency on an old credit card debt (defaulted in sep 1990 I think) I am not sure which state applys. either Tex or Colorado or St. Thomas USVI. How can I be sure the SOL has passed? I wrote them (maybe) a letter in 95 telling them why I didn't pay and they did not respond I don't think (there were several companies who got the same letter). I didn't keep anything. My credit report is clean now (or was several months ago). Is the SOL from the state I signed the contract in? Or the state where First Bankcard Center is located? (I am not sure of that either). I guess I just figured enough time and years with no credit had gone by :) Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

3. Renae

Renae Guest

Does this appear on your credit report? You should get a recent copy from all 3 CB's and check it out. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine if it's dropped off--it's because the SOL has expired. You should be o.k. I would just ignore them unless they start calling you on the phone.

4. wahala

wahala Guest

I have been reading of worried's experience here, and think I will send the collection agency a "stop contacting me" letter just in case. From what I have read, the SOL that applies is the one in the state where I live now??? Not sure. At any rate, Mo (where I live now) is 6 years, Co where I lived when I got the credit card is 5 years and texas where I lived before that is 4 years (or maybe three). My credit report was cleared about three years ago (all the CC debts went to the seven year reporting limit) All the records of this stuff were destroyed in a fire back in 1990 (I was pretty much destroyed as well, but have recovered) I suppose my worry is that I don't know any of the details, like where or when for any of this stuff. By the time I was in a position to try to start paying on any of these debts, the interest had more than doubled them (at least some of them) putting them out of my reach. I would have paid them all off, if they would have waived the interest back to the fire date (when they were all declared delinquent), but could not get any response from any of them. So I gave up and waited the seven years. I guess it is just the uncertainty of it all that worries me!

Thanks for answering!

5. wahala

wahala Guest

Another question(s)

Can the collection agency, or the origonal Creditor garnishee (sp) my wages without a judgement? Is there any way a judgement could be out there without my knowing about it?

Thanks