I need help!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by greyfox, Aug 27, 2001.

1. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

I need to contact Equifax regarding some errors on my credit report via Privista, but I don't have a confirmation number. Is there a phone number that I can use to call besides the one that gets you to the order dept.?

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Nope. Your only chance is via mail. They ask for the report number twice when calling.

If you got a rejection letter, you can order a free copy of your report, but otherwise you will have to pay to get a copy.

3. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Privista has that little box that says "if you dispute this information, click here" Some of it is bunk, but why do they give you the phone numbers if you can't use them?

When you do, you get this:
    Error resolution

Many credit reports contain errors. If you find one, take the steps listed below to fix it as soon as possible. If handled properly, the process can be relatively easy. Please note: When trying to resolve an error, it's important to keep a record of everything you do. Send all correspondence return receipt requested, and make copies of any letters or documents you send. Never send original documents....blah, blah, blah....(Then, it says!)

Contact information:

Equifax
    800/685-1111
    http://www.equifax.com/ai/index.html

Experian (formerly TRW)
    888/397-3742
    http://www.experian.com/consumer

Trans Union
    800/916-8800
    http://www.transunion.com/Personal/DisputeCreditReport.asp

4. greyfox

Nana, this is the info I used....doesn't do much good, does it?

5. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Then I think we need to Planetfeedback Privista....!!

6. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

What'd ya' find out? Anything on this?

7. greyfox

Still debating with myself on whether I want to pay now for a credit report from EQ, or wait a few weeks and see if any of my current accounts are affected.

I have too many open accounts, and am considering closing a couple of them first, then getting an updated report. I don't plan on applying for anything anytime soon.

8. jmart

jmart Well-Known Member

Remember, if Equifax uses a local affiliate in your area, you'll be unable to do an online dispute.. (Just like the Equifax website) You'll have to use phone or mail..

jmart

9. greyfox

Thanks, Equifax is available to me online...Experian is the one with the local affiliate.

10. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Well, I still think that it is misleading for Privista to have a whole link stating what to do if there is a problem and not providing a report number so we can and I think they need to hear about it via PFB.

11. beary

beary Well-Known Member

Yeah! Why should I pay all that money to monitor my credit when they make it difficult to dispute the items that are incorrect. Isn't that something Privista sells you on? "Monitor your credit...prevent misinformation from ruining your reputation..."

Come On PriVista!!!

Did you PF them and if so did you get a response or explaination?

I can't find where to cancel my account either..I'm still on the 30 day thing. You cant get a FICO score can you?

12. greyfox

OK, here's what I did.

No FICO score but they use their own scoring system.

OK, I decided to contact Privista first, then I will have their response to include in a PFB letter. Here is a copy of the email I sent to Privista today.

"I have been a member of Privista since March, 2001. I have been mostly satisfied with your service, but there is one problem that I believe needs to be rectified.

There are some errors in my Equifax report as shown on your site, and the URL for online access to Equifax, and the phone number you list on your site for them direct me to pay for a report from Equifax in order to get a confirmation number to rectify these errors.

I don't believe that your service is complete unless you provide access to Equifax for simple errors, such as reporting an account open that is closed, and not reporting the credit limit for a credit card when the other CRAs are reporting it correctly.

Please contact me with the phone number or URL information I need to contact Equifax to correct these errors without having to pay Equifax for a report."