I Need Opinions

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Erica, May 1, 2001.

1. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

During the Sunday chat, I asked the opinions of the few who were there on my credit situation. It is as follows:
    Card Type Name Limit Balance Opened
    Store BonTon 300 150 Mar-01
    Credit 1stPremier 200 100 Apr-01
    Credit CCB 250 0 Apr-01

I am considering opening another card, but don't want the auto decline that I always get. I know that I need more credit, but when you irritated every bank in America, getting a second chance can be tough.

I'm looking for an unsecured card, that will work with me as far as hearing my explanations for my poor credit.

Also, my FICO went from 583 to 561 in a month. I have a feeling that the new credit is going to hurt me before it helps me.

Any comments/suggestions?

2. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

Well.....how about your own bank/credit union? or focus on letting these age...or putting your money into a secured loan? Personally if I was determined to get another card I would look to a local owned bank or credit union
    I wish I could help you more with this.....but with pissing every credit card off in the nation and all that new credit, you may need to wait (?)

:)

AnnMarie

3. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I don't have any money saved up right now, come July, I will. But I don't really want to wait that long. So the secured thing is out of the question right now.

As far as my bank goes, I'm lucky to have an account with them. My former boss begged for them to open an account for me (I am on Chex). They blatantly told me that they wouldn't loan me anything, not even a paperclip. So that option is out too.

The only real banks that I pissed off are Sears (settled for less than full balance) and Discover (Charge-off not paid, SOL up tomorrow or so). So I guess that leaves alot of other banks to deal with.

I have been denied by Aria, Cap One, Associates (Citgo Card) and Target (twice) who uses Retailers National Bank. What is left?

Thanks for they reply Ann Marie!

4. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Erica..I don't know much about it...but what about Junum's card? Oh, wait, that is secured, huh?

It seems like a good deal. Hmmm...

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I am confused.

Erica,
    I am a little confused. I dont understand why your score is so low. I remember you mentioned you had student loan problems in the past. Have you tried to rectify that situation.

Your credit score will suck as long as you have student loan charge offs reporting (ie defaults).

I would imagine that until your student loans are a little better capital one and providian will deny you. At least that was my situation.

As soon as I consolidated my student loans, I was approved for a providian and my story was uphill after that.

I dont think anyone can advise you to getmore credit until you do something about your bad debts right now.

Secured cards are really good. Especially with capital one. I cant imagine you not sparing an extra $200.

roni

6. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Re: I am confused.

Roni,

I have joined Junum and hope that they can get the student loan stuff off. One account the Dept. of Ed. has no idea what that is.

So, at any rate, the general concensus is to let them age for 6 months and then see what offers roll in, right?

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

i had a secured card for over 6 mos and was still turned down by providian and cap1. I got no relief until the loans were 0 balanced.

roni

8. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

My student loan situation is as follows:

1-NYS Higher Ed: reporting on TU closed, collection/P&L
    (This was included in a consolidation, SSN is acct #)
    2-US Dept of ED: reporting on Exp and TU as collection/P&L
    Reporting on Equ as current with balance of N/A
    (This is the student loan no one knows anything about)
    3-US Dept of ED: reporting on TU only as closed and unrated
    (This was included in a consolidation, and uses my SSN as acct #)
    4-US Dept of ED: reporting on Exp and Equ as current, on TU as unrated
    (This is my loans for the current school year and also uses my SSN)
    5-US Dept of ED: reporting on Exp and Equ as current, on TU as unrated
    (This is the consolidation loan for the above two loans)
    6-Fleet Bank: reported on Exp as unrated, but collection from guarantor
    (This is the same as the NYS Higher Ed loan, again SSN is acct #)

So as of right now, I only have 2 loans out for school. The other 4 are either unknown or were debts included in the consolidation.
    That is my SL situation.

9. Saar

Saar Banned

Erica:

Why would you need our advice? You opened a Cross Country Bank account this month, so you obviously make little use of our advice :)

Saar

10. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Saar,

DId you see my note about being denied by aria/providian and CapOne (secured)? Obviously not. The only reason that I got the card was because I have to start somewhere. I put myself in the credit dilemma I am in, and if I have to start from the bottom and work my way to $10,000Chase cards, so be it.

But, thanks for your reply.

11. Saar

Saar Banned

Erica:

I only said it because I care. I agree, some cards are a decent last resort, including maybe 1st Premier.

Cross Country Bank is a criminal organization, and will soon kill however little credit you try to build. Please don't think of it in terms of a credit card company or a bank. It is organized crime. It is not too late to close it. Building credit does not require more than 2 revolving tradelines at the beginning. Don't blow your only chance to get out of subprime hell. You cannot afford to make mistakes; Especially not a mistake of this magnitude.

Yours,
    Saar

12. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Saar,

I apoligize if I offended you and realize that you and others do care. I don't plan on using it except for small charges and when the good offers come in, I'm immediately closing it.

Thanks,

13. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

Erica,

I think you should let those accounts age first. The only card I can think of that would give you an account now without money up front is First National Credit Card. The card is much like your first premier card - I think it's the same bank. - You know the one with all the fees and stuff. Otherwise wait the six months and get Providian.

Kelly

14. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Thanks Kelly. My 1st Premier is secured. $69.00 annual fee and 19.99% APR. So for a start, it's not too bad. I will let them age and get the providian in 6 months.

Thanks again.

15. LoFico

LoFico Well-Known Member

Saar,
    I started rebuilding with first premier in March 01. Anything wrong with them i should know about? Also, how long should I keep them.

P.S. your advice will be thoroughly digested. thanks.

16. eddie

eddie Well-Known Member

See my previous posts. FIRST PREMIER SUCKS. My 1500. is still being held hostage with no end in sight.

17. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

Eddie

It took First Premier 4 months b4 I received my deposit back. The terms state 90 days til they return deposit- no interest. Arggghhh! I'd look for it between 90 and 120

Let us know if u don't get it

Good luck,
    Kelly

18. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

I don't see why everyone makes a big deal about cross country for. I have had their card since Dec 2000 and have had no problems at all. All my payments post fine. I was late last month but I have been perfect otherwise. You can't say cross country is bad for everyone.

19. Saar

Saar Banned

20. CardKid

CardKid Well-Known Member