I Smell a Rat, and A Big One!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by eileen623, Jun 26, 2001.

1. eileen623

eileen623 Member

Interesting phone call I had today. This guy, Roger, calls from American Savings. Apparently, without my even applying for a loan, I have been approved for a loan up to 1,500 dollars with a low apr of 6.7 percent. All I had to do was call 1-888-225-1751 and provide them with "an approval code" and I'd be good to go. Curious, I called the number as instructed and warning bells clanged in my head when at the end of asking me qualifying information, they needed to know if I had a checking account. I said I did, still curious, and the bells really sounded when they needed me to read the numbers from left to right on the bottom of my check. I asked why and they said it was for verification purposes. When I refused to do so and told them I could provide them with a routing number, the guy got nasty and said I didn't have to give my information if I didn't want to, that he could type up that routing number and know which bank I banked with, but he needed a checking account number to verify me. When I adamantly refused to give it up, he told me, and I quote, "Credit denied, and don't call back again." Oh, btw, the approval code was los0608. Anyone ever heard of this one?

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Smart move! Sounds like a scam to me.

breeze

3. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Find out what City and State they are in and contact the local police.

4. robyn

robyn New Member

I was curious so I just called the number.

They weren't very forthcoming with information.

They are located in Pottsmarth (sp), Virginia. The name of the company is ASDC, American Savings Discount Club.

The girl I talked to just kept repeating their mantra "We help folk establish good credit by providing cash loans.".

5. Kate

Kate Well-Known Member

The correct spelling is Portsmouth, VA. I hope this helps.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Tell them to send information in the mail...if they have your phone number, they have your address.

My wife talks on the phone like 40-60 hours per week on her job...so I tell them to talk to me, or send the information by mail...

7. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

CALIFORNIA

I'll swap electric and gas bills with you G!

better send this B4 the power goes out.
    cya dogman

8. bbauer

bbauer Banned

This kind of scam is pulled all the time in different ways.

You have just been approved for this great new credit card.
    all you have to do is give me your bank routing and your checking account number and we will rush your new credit card right out to you.

Usually it's a call from some foreign sounding person.

Don't ever, ever fall for any situation where they want your bank account numbers unless it's to pay off your credit cards or your car payment, something where you call up and initiate the call. Somebody you know and trust.

If you don't believe me, just make the fatal mistake one time and you won't ever quit getting dinged.

They will hit you for every crying dime you got in your checking account. I've seen it happen too many times.

I'd turn them over to your attorney general's office.

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: CALIFORNIA

MY MOTHER HASEN'T HAD ANY BLACK-OUTS YET...

10. MrBadFico

MrBadFico Active Member

They are a decent company that after ou join there discount club can get you reinversments on medical bills dental bills and gas 4 dollar off every tank. After you are wiith them for 90 days they ofer you a five hundred dollar loan and help build your credit they currently report to equifax for me.

11. bbauer

bbauer Banned

While I cannot dispute what you say, Mr. Badfico, if they are indeed a good company then they will well be able to withstand such investigations as suggested, now won't they?

They will have good reports with the BBB and other agencies.

But under all normal circumstances, such tactics are very much cause for concern for one's assets.

The basic rule should be never give out your bank account numbers unless you are certain that those to whom you give them are legitimate companies and you know who they are.

12. mj

mj Well-Known Member

An extention of BBauer's rule ...

NEVER (never, ever, never, EVER) give out ANY account numbers (especially checking!) unless YOU initiated the call to a KNOWN source.

It is SOOOOO easy to print out a check and mark it "SIGNATURE ON FILE." If you want to see how easy - go to Staples, OfficeMax, or CompUSA, look in the printer paper aisle, and find VersaCheck. Blanks that you can print-up on any printer.

I only use credit cards (pref. Amex) when dealing over the phone or 'net -- it's some assurance of safety and I know they'll back me up if someone tries to scam anything.

Good luck - and be careful !

13. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Yep!

And if it's an offer for a credit card or anything like that, I want to see their prospectus in writing mailed to my door. If they don't want to provide me with that, then forget it.

14. MrBadFico

MrBadFico Active Member

OK, I fill I have made a huge mistake in dealing with these people. After I have tried to reach these people on numerous occasions, I have failed to contact them via phone. I was wanting the loan and so I calledto get a packet from them, whic I have never received, furthermore when I call the damn place I get a busy signal. So on friday pissed that they take 38 dollars out of my checking account monthly for a membership to there group, in wich I have received nothing I try and reach again to no luck. So I went to my bank cancelled my checking account and now on the 8th of the month they cant get my dues. My main queston is how can I keep them from reporting bad on my credit rport???

15. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I would send certified RR letter, informing them of your actions and threatening them if they put anything bad on your credit report.

They are about 20 mi. from me. I will go over and give them all flat tires for ya, MrBad. :)

breeze

16. Bowlin_1

Bowlin_1 Member

What letter should he send???

17. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I think you'll have to invent this letter :)

Just tell them you never received the promised materials, you tried to call and couldn't reach them. You decided to cancel, so you closed the whole darn account, just so they couldn't charge you for another month.

Tell them you are serious, and you do not want their "service", and if they try to put anything negative on your credit report or any other report, you will file a complaint with to the FTC, your state's attorney general, the Virginia AG, and both BBB's. Tell them this is wire fraud, and they will be in big trouble.

Then send it certified RR - by the way you can do that at the USPS site. :)

You can do it!

breeze

18. Crdt Dfnse

Crdt Dfnse Well-Known Member

MJ:
    Yes, this is true, however while one may be able to print a check, depositing it is another matter. Major banks use magnetic ink to encode a check, as a means of fraud protection. If the magnetic ink isnâ??t present, the fraud scanners reroute the item for closer investigation. From here another process starts thatâ??s better left from board discussion. The point being is that a simple printed check, one without magnetic ink. Isnâ??t likely, at all, to escape a bankâ??s fraud detection systems. Nope, ainâ??t gonna happen!

So oneâ??s concern over a company having access to checking account numbers, are somewhat unfounded. Mortgage services, credit card creditors, and collection agents, etc. All use various types of â??check-by-phoneâ? payment systems, and seldom are capable for abusing them. Certain procedures make that very tough, so not every firm that uses printed drafts (checks-by-phone) are untrustworthy.

BTW, â??SIGNATURE ON FILEâ? would also be a dead give-a-way to major bank detection systems. (See all the cool and interesting STUFF you can learn from the boards? Trivia that sometimes comes in handy.)

19. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Anthony:

I'm not wanting to start anything here, so please don't take me wrong. I'm trying to learn something, not tell you anything here. Maybe I'm even confusing what you are saying with something else I have in mind on this subject. If so, please excuse me.

What about these "companies" that call you up wanting you to give them your bank account routing and account numbers for any one of a dozen or more reasons? Yeah, I know, anybody falls for that is plain dumb stupid in the first place. But there have been untold numbers of cases where oldsters have made the fatal mistake of giving out the numbers and then ending up broke the next day.

The tales like that are legion and you and everybody else knows that they are true because you see it on the news every once in a while.

The scam artists have to be using some kind of paper or electronic check, don't they?

I think I'd like to see more discussion on this, and it's obvious that you know quite a lot about it and I sure don't.