I USED THE Cobalt Card .....

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

Re: I beg to differ

but Amex does not check your CR, they verify through other means, at this time I don't know what they use to verify but it is not your credit report.

Cyprigirl:)

2. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Actually a cash advance will cost you something more than an ATM fee since the Cobaltcard charges a fee to fund via credit card:

Cobaltcard Funding Fees
    ATM Fees - $1.50 - FREE at American Express ATMs
    Funding from Credit Card or Debit Card $3 (for $0 - $59) - $5 (for funding > $60)
    Funding from Checking FREE

So if you go to an Amex ATM you won't get the $1.50 "ATM" fee but you will get a $3 or $5 charge for shuffling cash around via CC.

Now unless I am told that this will lead to easier Amex approval, I am not sure I will get it.

-Dave

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

No fees at this time. They keep extending the free period. :)

breeze

4. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

I agree that this card has no really solid inroads in getting me closer to a AMEX green but it's still fun to tout around a card that most people have not seen or heard about.

The card is free and funding it is a snap.

Best regards,
    Sam

5. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

AMEX Databases

I think that AMEX internal databases on different products and usage all roll up to the same main
    identifier - one's social security number.

I think that my Membership Banking Accts helped when they gave me the Green Card. It is a separate
    but related subsidiary, but I believe it helped.

Probably Cobalt Card will be a good start. ALSO - if AMEX snaps another secured card in the future, you might grab that one. I know some members here that changed from Secured to regular AMEX Green.

AND, you see that Cobalt Card is collecting "an
    underground, hip, in the know status" already.
    IT's NOT BEING marketed on TV, etc. AMEX gives a sharp card free, and gets those transaction fees from those merchants for each pop on the Cobalt.
    Even AMEX CARDMEMBERS are snapping Cobalt -
    me being one of them.

I think I will transfer more to Cobalt - its sharp.

Listening to "Camera One" - Josh Joplin - dogman

6. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Lizard

Check out the site Lizard - they do not report Cobalt Card to TRAs - no credit check.
    They just ask for SS# - but bounce you with prior bad AMEX experience.

c ya dogman

7. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

IT IS HILARIOUS LOL!!!

I saw that - but being 48 and corporate execuive clean cut and well dressed - I hoped the store would
    pass me when I tried to buy a reasonable chablis....

it is hilarious LOL!!
    AMEX GREEN? There is no pre-set limit and purchase protection on all the smut, booze, women, men, cigars, and vices one desires - and one gets points!

arfingly yours - dogman

8. Cyprigirl

Re: IT IS HILARIOUS LOL!!!

Dogman,

I read your posts and it seems you are the AMEX expert, I am trying to get an AMEX, I am contemplating opening a AMEX checking and savings, to further get my foot in the AMEX door (Got the Cobalt),

Do you think it increases your chances and how long afterward should I try to get it. Also what does the debit card look like?

Have you heard any word on when there will be a new secured card. The latter is a last resort.

Thanks a Bunch:)

9. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Membership Banking

1. I "think" it enhances your AMEX relationship.
    2. A natural extension of a checking/savings acct is
    a credit or chrage card.
    3. I had the accts(both chnkg and svgs)
    for only about 1-2 months.
    4. Don't know anything about if AMEX
    will or won't offer a secure card again.
    5. I would say if your credit was good or not too
    bad in the past, you might get Green Card.

They do require 2 years excellent payments on 2 major credit cards and usually, throw a car loan, mortgage, or high income into the mix.

I hope your July journey has few twists and turns -
    fondly - dogman

10. Cyprigirl

Re: Membership Banking

Thanks for the Info, Dogman.

I have only had my credit cards for about 10 months, so i guess I am at least a year away from getting it. I will probably get the Amex Checking and savings.

I love my bank, but I will probably open it just to expand my relationship with them.

I have heard many mixed results about the secured card, I think I will wait it out. Besides in a years time I will have my license. I will be in better shape to command an AMEX.