I want a citibank or BofA Visa!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Maer, May 7, 2001.

1. Maer

Maer Well-Known Member

I have a 4 year old bankruptcy. Other than that, perfect credit. I have little debt with lots of available credit. I'm not sure what my scores are.

I'm sick of Cap 1 & Providian and being too embarrassed to use them. I want a "real" credit card.

Does anybody know if I can get a "real" card with a bk on my credit?

2. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

I too have a bk (ch-13) on my record. I have been denied by First USA and Nextcard. So from this experience and others the bk does hurt your chances of obtaining a prime-cc.

What I have done is control my balance to cl ratio. Hire Junum to clear what they can.

Also from what I understand Citibank will deny you a cc if you owe them, even if it was discharged in a bk.

Best regards,
    Sam

3. Herman

Herman Well-Known Member

Hi maer,

I've had both cards (BofA, Citi Platinum Select)

Base on EFX scorepower my Beacon score was 688 when I applied for the Citi card (last month) But there has been folks on this board that has a FICO score of 565 got approved and another person got denied over 690 FICO which is difficult to believed.

I think you need to have a 660 in order to have a chance to be approved for prime cards, but there are also other factors exception to be consider for approval,(income, debts to ratios) hope this helps.

cheers,

Herman

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Baer,
    I think BofA will denied you because you still have bk on your credit report. They will denied you even you apply for their secured card because they had written on their application. I'm not so sure on Citibank requirement and they do offer instant credit on their web site. I think most bank denied you because you have bk. You can try to apply for secured card from First Consumers National Bank. They approve you even you have bk and they give you more credit from your deposit (up to 200%).

Ron.

5. MikeB

MikeB Banned

I was denied a Discover card with a 670 credit score. The only reason listed was "recent deliquincies". I had a few lates over 2 years old now. If 2 years ago is recent, I guess so. Anyway, scores are not the only criteria as most of these companies have internal scoring models in addition to the CRA credit scores.

6. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

You could try Citibank Aadvantage.

7. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

I got a AAdvantage with chargeoffs and 10 inquiries on Trans Union. At best my FICOs are low 600s. However, it is NOT platinum or anything so the embarassment you feel will likely still be there.

8. sam

sam Well-Known Member

silly! the AAdvantage cards can be converted into a platinum card with a phone card.

I did this, and got my rate down to prime+1.9% APR on the citibank platinum select.

Platinum for citibank = any card with $1K limit or higher..

wierd huh?

9. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Citi won't approve anyone with a BK less than 7 years old -- regardless of score (doesn't apply to Diners Club - they have more lee-way).

First USA won't approve anyone with a BK on their report (10 years for a Ch7, 7 for a Ch13).

BofA will consider it, but you need to make your case to a bank officer in the new accounts area in Phoenix.

I don't know what NextCard does, but they appoved me automatically for $10k @ prime + .5 (680 FICO, Ch 7 in 95).

Good luck,
    mj

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

sam,
    They sent me the Citibank Dividend Platinium Select card with $1000 but the statement called it the regular Dividend Mastercard.

Ron.

11. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

Sam and Ron

Are you saying I should just call Citibank and ask to have the card converted to a Platinum Select?

12. Mike2

Mike2 Well-Known Member

Which report has Citi been pulling for most people on that AAdvantage card?

13. MikeB

MikeB Banned

They pulled Experian for me. I also tried to convert my Clik AAdvantage to Platinum Select. Denied.