I Want to take Action.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by roni, May 12, 2001.

1. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I really want the boards advise. I have had providian classic since 4/00 ($2680). I recently opened a providian mastercard($1000).

I was just given a gold upgrade on the classic visa card. I dont think it is a real upgrade though. I mean, grace and all terms are still the same as they just send the card w/o any change in info.

I had capital one since 11/99 and was upgraded to gold in 3/01 with $2900 limit. I am not sure of my terms.

I owe about $600 on both cards and I could send them a check today for the balances and then close them both. I dont owe anything on the providian Mc. I would close it also.

Should I do this. Should i play the retention game. These are my oldest trades.

2. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

If you truly don't care, why not play the game and call. You could get the terms you want and you still have the cards and your oldest tradeline. If they don't do what you want, then you already know you are willing to walk.

The California lottery used to use the advertising slogan "You can't win if you don't play."

3. MiamiBlues

MiamiBlues Well-Known Member

Roni,

I have a Providian Gold Visa I opened last Sept. The card initially came with a $1000 line of credit. Since then my credit line has increased to $1700 and I got the annual fee waived by writing to the president of the company.

Today I received an offer from them in the mail stating that for $49 they would increase my credit line by $1000. I said what the heck and sent the card back in. So far Providian has been good to me. On my one year anniversary I'm going to try to get them to lower the APR.

Manny

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Yes, roni, that's right. It is my oldest card also - it was 2 years in March. My limit is $6,500 now and they lowered my interest rate once when I asked. I didn't think I could do that til I read this board. I will get it lowered more.

You pay them off, and wait till your next statement comes out. You will have a big increase. I paid mine off, they gave me a $1,000 increase each time.

Of course it's not as nice as blue, but I'm gonna keep mine.

breeze