I was robbed at the ATM, help!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by arobinson, Aug 15, 2003.

1. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Also, opening a homeowners claim may affect your rates. Have you asked about that?

iambroke
    =================
    Pay him 1000 raise premium collect a bundle more than paid out.

Charge the customer for taking the product he paid for.
    Must be where the banks got the idea of charging you for using credit when you access it.

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

2. lbrown59

Also, opening a homeowners claim may affect your rates. Have you asked about that?

iambroke
    =================
    Pay him 1000 raise premium collect a bundle more than paid out.

Charge the customer for taking the product he paid for.
    Must be where the banks got the idea of charging you for using credit when you tap into it.

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

3. arobinson

arobinson Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: I was robbed at the ATM, help!

I did file a formal written report, the moment I discovered the loss. I went to the branch I opened the account at, and immediatly filed an affidavit of fraud. The manager signed off on it. I have also written a letter to the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve.

4. thetravele

thetravele Well-Known Member

But nothing with the police dept???

If you file a police report the branch would have to take you more seriously.

5. O2BDETFREE

O2BDETFREE Member

Just curious but what happened to the original ATM card you couldn't find? Where did you keep your PIN? Is it possible someone used that one? Did you report that one missing and have them deactivate the old one at the time you requested a new one?

Also when a bank sends a new ATM card they typically send the card first and then the PIN comes separately in another envelope afterwards. If someone got their hands on both, it makes one wonder if someone is watching your mailbox or it's someone you know?

Something seems weird here - no offense.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

HOW CAN YOU PROVE ANYTHING OF HOW IT WAS LOST/STOLEN????

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

It may have been STOLEN at either end of the flight...it is possible it never made the flight...it may have been STOLEN at the POST OFFICE before it got to your house...it may have been STOLEN from the mail truck before it even got to your mail box...it may have been STOLEN from your mail box...it is very possible they just delivered it to the WRONG ADDRESS!!!

THIS WAS NOT EXPRESS MAIL OR FEDEX!!! They don't know there a specific piece of mail is at any given time!!!

8. mel

mel Well-Known Member

Yes ATM Cards are different from Credit Cards but there is still a limit on consumer liability. Please see my earlier post and jlynn's post on EFTA.

This isn't a case of "oops your money is gone, tough luck"...a bank is obligated to follow the law. It is a sad state of affairs when consumers have to educate their banks on a bank's responsibility.

My advice, find out which agency regulates your bank and file a complaint. File a complaint with the consumer protection division of your state as well. If your bank is still playing the mo-fo role, you may have to evaluate whether EFTA provides a cause of action that you can seek relief under (i.e., action for the 2700 - your liability).

It will come down to - how quickly did you notify the appropriate parties in writing (e.g., bank, police, etc.).
    =========================

9. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I can understand that it could be stolen while in the mail - but how did they get the PIN number? The ATM only allows a few tries, then it cuts you off and reports the account as having problems, then the ATM card cannot be used any more. This thief would have to have been stealing you mail long-term, knowing that the PIN would be arriving in the mail soon, or be someone who knows you.

You are incredibly unlucky.

10. arobinson

I don't know. I did file a police report, over the phone with the jurisdiction that the ATM's were used in..but the police said it was a small crime and unless they see a pattern with the particular ATM's they won't do much. I live in Montgomery County MD, and the police are very busy with other things (thats what they told me) they actually said it was a civil matter.

Here is what I think happened. I threw out my brother in law about a year ago..he was not paying rent. He and my sister got a divorce (she left him and filed for divorce) it may have been him that was stealing the mail (we have locked mailboxes at my development) but he had a key that I never got back..also the lock on the mailbox really doesnt work at all...half of them dont. I told the police all of this...they still said that unless they have some photographs (which the bank told me that they didnt have any) they can't prove anything.

This is not the first occurance of theft I have had against my name...why do you think I have filed so many lawsuits against collection agencies for accounts I know nothing about...sure I filed bankrutcy several years ago..but since then..all kinds of collections have been coming to me..just yesterday I got one for $2900.00 from NCO....somebody is watching...it may or may not be him...I dont know..and I just cant wait until I move next year.....then I will be starting fresh....

The strange thing is...I have not noticed too many non pp inquiries on my credit (there were 2, which I sued the bank and got removed) but that is all in the past 2 years...so how could somebody be opening these accounts in my name without a credit pull?

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

(which the bank told me that they didnt have any)

?????

CAMERAS ARE STANDARD EQUIPMENT...ARNE'T THEY???

12. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Re: Re: I was robbed at the ATM, help!

13. arobinson

Re: Re: I was robbed at the ATM, help!

Who knows...I know at some ATM's there are no cameras...like the ones at 7-11 or at a convenience store...or the ones at the mall...in any case, I have drafted a complaint against the bank, which I will file tomorrow, suing them for violations of the EFTA and FCRA (pulling the credit report without pp) even if the FCRA violation is frivilous...it will get their attention. As soon as I get the case number, I will issue a subpoena to the bank to release all of their internal records and have them pull the atm film.

We will see who wins this battle...I have a feeling it will be me.

14. juliedeale

juliedeale Well-Known Member

Re: Re: I was robbed at the ATM, he

My ATM card and my PIN came seperately in the mail.

15. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: I was robbed at the ATM, he

That USUALLY prevents the theft of both on the same day...BUT not 100% GUARANTEED

16. TomJones

TomJones Well-Known Member

If it is your postal carrier stealing the cards and PINs... he has access to both.

By the way, my employer sells ATMs. A camera is never built-in... if the ATM has an internal camera, then the bank paid extra for it. In some places, esp. NYC, cameras are mandatory.. but not most.

By the way, if you are robbed at gunpoint at the ATM, you have *ZERO* liability. Some guys on www.bankersonline.com -> discussion forums verified this for me.

17. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

At my store the ATM does not have a camera because it is "ON STORE CAMERA" 24/7

18. lbrown59

I was robbed at the ATM, he

A-ll
    T-hat
    M-isery

19. lbrown59

I was robbed at the ATM, he

X-xxx
    X-xxxx
    X-xxxxx