ID theft-Household doesn't respond

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by wwwdenise, Jun 11, 2001.

1. wwwdenise

wwwdenise Member

Just received Trans Union CR with a hard inquiry from HOUSEHOLD CREDIT SERVICE.

What's up with that?

2. Sybil

Sybil Member

tom65432,

Here is more information...

I found out about the card in October and immediatly called to have the card turned off and asked at that time how I would go about filing charges and was told to dispute the bill and that I would have only two months to do so or they would make me responsible for the bill because I now know about it. Now, 8 months later, the relative who I chose to protect by not filing charges has been making payments late, I have requested a copy of my credit report and if there is
    any negative report due to that card I wish to press charges to clear my name, so I called the credit card company and asked about thier statute of limitations for reporting identity fraud and the agent told me that I could report the fraud to them at any time. Another question I have: I thought if I report the fraud to the CC it is thier responsibility to file charges not mine.

3. wwwdenise

wwwdenise Member

Sybil-

Don't expect the creditor to be the one to press charges. Perhaps they should, but they won't.

If you want your name cleared, go to the state police in the county where the forgery was committed and file charges against the person who forged your signature.

After you receive the police report, send copiesof it to the creditor (s) and CRAs.

Yes, there may be a statute of limitations. In that case STILL file a police report. It will be an INFORMATIONAL report. Then send a copy of it to the creditor.

Also DO NOT communicate with the creditor by phone. Put all of your inquiries and requests in writing and ask that they respond to everything in writing.

If you communicate with them by phone, you will get NOWHERE. Believe me. They will tell you all kinds of lies. They do not care about your situation. You will get a different answer to your questions every time. All they care about is trying to get you to admit that you take responsibility for the account and then will try to get you to pay for it. And unless you tape your conversations, you will never have any proof that they said anything that they said.

Forgot about trying to get answers from them by phone. File a police report on your own. Put everything in writing.

4. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

Is your goal to punish the relative or to clear your credit? If it is to clear your credit, then work with them on filing a theft of identity report. Do everything in writing and keep good notes. Prove to them your ID was stolen so you can clean up your credit. If you have to file a police report to accomplish this goal, then do it.

If you want to punish the relative criminally, then pursue it but it has probably been too long. The CC company may or may not do it on their own. If it is important to you, you have to take the initiative.

I would not go after a relative.

As far as a two month rule to file a fraud report with the CC company, I suspect that is internal. Just ignore it. If they raise it again, say why didn't you send me the forms to fill out? I thought you were working on the case when I first called.

Just bluff your way through it.

5. wwwdenise

wwwdenise Member

The goal is o PERMANANTLY remove my name and info from the account.

Police report has been filed. Copies sent to appropriate parties.

Creditor claims that they do not have to communicate with me because they had sold the account to a third party. Third party is of very little help.

6. wwwdenise

wwwdenise Member

UPDATE:
    It seems that Household is protected by some kind of law that says they don't have to resond to me because they sold it to a CA (without any kind of notice to me EVER) Does anyone know about that?

Anyway, because it is CURRENTLY off my report, I don't know how I can sue anyone. Especially since Household refuses communication one way or another.

The account still exists with my SSN so I predict it will be reported to the CRAs in a few months.

My problem is I would like to apply for a mortgage. I've already waited 2 years for this mess to clear up. Do you suggest provided the lender with a copy of the police report in case the fraud account pops back up in the middle of things?

7. wwwdenise

wwwdenise Member

After about 2.5 years of writing letters and making phone calls and all but pulling my hair out, I think I finally got the response I needed:
    I got a signed letter from the office of the president of GM Card. It states that I have no responsibility for the account in question, that my mother opened the account as a single cardholder.
    I can hardly believe it, but I am going to make several copies and store them in several different fireproof safes!
    I feel like I can get on with my life now.
    Thanks Judy, Breeze, Tom, Erica, and Squawk for the support.