Identity theft insurance

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by breeze, Aug 20, 2001.

1. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Traveler's is offering identity theft insurance, which reimburses expenses incurred if you are a victim of identity theft. It can be purchased as a rider to existing Traveler's homeowner's policies for $25.00/yr, or as a stand-alone policy ($60/yr and up). Citibank cardholders can enroll after logging into your account and received a three month free review period.

For those who don't have Citibank cards:
    http://www.travelerspc.com/personal/theft/

It's not available in all states yet.

breeze

2. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

What'll they think of next?

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Hey, whatever becomes a "hazard" to enough people that they think they have a market, I'm sure. You would think they would just add this as a provision in homeowner's policies, huh?

I applied, they just sent me an email I was approved. LOL, I think that means my credit card authorization went through. Many, many states still use my SSN as my identifying number for a license in their state. If I want the license (it's my livelihood) I have to let them do it. Then, if I am talking to you on the phone and you request my license number, I have to give it to you. Not to mention, all my applications have my license number on them. Scares me! I think I need this insurance.

breeze

4. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Other Hazard Insurance Coverage

How about...

Stupidity Insurance: I dated the wrong person. We just broke up. I just figured out how MUCH I spent on the now insignificant other... I want my money back.

Buyer's Remorse Insurance: I bought it, I changed my mind several years later and now I want my money back.

Jack#%s Creditor Insurance: I bought it on their card... I left a balance...I did everything right and they just jacked my interest rate for the fun of it and amazingly I don't want to get socked for balance transfer fees from Jack$%s Creditor Number Two. Pays the original balance off NOW for you.

Aging Insurance: I bought it. It worked great/ or I looked great in it... but now I'm older and I don't use it / can't get into it anymore and now I want my money back.

FICO Insurance: I bought it... and it... and it... and I love it but my ratios are off and I need a higher score... and now I want my balances paid off for me.

3 Stooges Insurance: I didn't buy it... it's not my account, baby... but it keeps reappearing like a bad rash on my credit report. Pays for a credit expert, pays for pain and suffering, higher costs of credit, emotional damage... or a hit man for your CRA of choice. (underwritten in NJ).

Credit Information Insurance: I read about credit. I know too much. I am going insane thinking about scores/ ratios/ interest rates and the timing of my payments. Pays for intensive therapy.

Get a Life Insurance: I've been on this board too much... my credit is back on track and still here I am... Pays to go on a trip and/or get a life.

5. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re: Other Hazard Insurance Coverage

LMAO!! That's great Marie!

Please don't leave - you give too much valuable input. Also, this is becoming a consumer movement, you know, not just a credit repair board.

Bet if you went on vacation, you'd still check the board - I did, LOL.

breeze

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I have F.I.C.O. 685-698...I wouldn't consider my credit "FIXED" until I get my F.I.C.O. ABOVE 750...AND get approved for 3 new accounts with-out any denials in one year...OR CITIBANK CALLS ME ON THE PHONE DEMANDING I TAKE THEIR CARD WITH NO INQUIRY...even though I have been denied 6 times in 2 years, AND HAD 2 ACCOUNTS AT THE SAME TIME 10+/- YEARS AGO...

NO BK
    NO COLLECTIONS
    NO LATES
    NO OVER-LIMIT
    OLDEST CREDIT CARD 1978

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I SUFFERED WITH DIAL UP ON MY VACATION...

8. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Marie,
    I'm ROTFLMAO!!!

Besides, I want all of the above, how much is it?

Are Premiums paid annually or bi-annually?

What credit cards will they take for payment?

Can I get a refund if after 6 months I decide I don't want the insurance?

Does applying for this insurance require a hard or soft inquiry on my credit report?

Will having such a policy hurt or help my credit score?

Please send the full terms and all disclosures so I can be fully informed before applying.

9. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

=========You can't get it if you have bad credit!

10. lbrown59

You can't get the insurance if you have a bad credit report or a low credit score or if they do isuue you a policy the premium will be 500% of the regular rate!=========

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

lb, I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but in case you're not, there was no inquiry. Just CC authorization. However, I signed up from Citibank's site after logging into my account there - maybe that makes a difference?? Good enough for Citi, good enough for Traveler's. LOL. There was no "information practices" notice, which is required in VA, and there was no authorization to pull a report.

Of course, some companies are known for underwriting at the time of the claim, so they may check my credit and refund my premium if/when I ever file a claim. Traveler's doesn't have a reputation for that, but......

breeze

12. lbrown59

Breeze it was a joke - I think-but if they use credit reports maybe the joke's on me instead.

13. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

LOL, OK. They don't use reports. Seems like they would, but they don't. Maybe they check something else we don't know about. Maybe someone is keeping a record and we have a "stupidity" score somewhere or something. Mine would most likely be high.

breeze