Ignore feature

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Shantel, Jun 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

This is a first for me.....I used the ignore feature.

I typically don't like to do that for fear that someone will post something really worthwhile, but for little Ms. Thing....nothing yet. Just stuff that hurts my eyes.

Therefore, I'm exercising my right to igg you from my life. Isn't technology grand?

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

LOL you go girl:)

3. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Shantel, I was having those same thoughts!

Dont they say that great minds think alike?

:)

4. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I guess its my age..or something..but this thread so confused me! :) Who? What? Where?
    LOL

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hey Nana, ( discover yeah) , got to love the ignore feature.

6. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

I am confused here. Maybe because I have a teen age daughter, I don't notice anything unusual about the college women posts. I know there are a number of you here and I fail to see a problem.

7. PSUgirl

PSUgirl Guest

I agree with you jim,

I think that there are some people on here that may lack self esteem.

I think its unfortunate that some people get so hot about words on the computer....stop taking things so personally. Find better things to do when your mind turns away from the main topic on the board, CREDIT.

I dont know whos feelings a person may think they might hurt if they use "ignore" maybe their own. That may constitute a problem with themselves!.

Life will go on and so will posts!

this board is about credit.

Psugirl!

8. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok, I still don't know what is going on..but I have to say that, once again, I think if someone wants to ignore someone then they should be able to without being called pathetic.....live and let live as they say...:)

Now, if I could only figure out who we are talking about...

;)

9. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

The problem I have is people ask for advice and when someone suggests something or points out the obvious, the poster turns around and becomes quite obnoxious, this isn't the first time either and I am sure this won't be the last, but with just one click , I won't have to view it anymore.

10. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I just reread this post and then it occurred to me that it could be ME that we are talking about..only I'm not a college woman..but who knows...ROFL heheheheheh..so if you are ignoring me, please tell me, but then if you are ignoring me, you can't tell me, because you are ignoring me, so ummm....

if you get there first, leave a mark, if I get there first, I'll erase it...

ok...I'm losing it

11. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Nana,

I probably should not have got involved with this minor matter and neither should you.

You have nothing to do do with it and neither do I. So don't start thinking about leaving the board. We all are going to need your expertise.

Let's think credit here and be successful.

You'd be surprised how I deal with my daughter sometimes and problems that were monumental one moment are nothing after a talk.

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

NanaC what were you saying...I was ignoring you....

JUST KIDDING...

:)

13. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

George...you are hysterical..and you left one box unpacked while I was gone..ahahah

Jim, I think I'm on to the conversation lately. Now that I have a clue of what is going on, I'll have to be bold and say that I understand the thoughts of those that posted..

Now, on to daughters, of which I am the proud owner of 2...heeheehee...I say I understand...Remember, I teach 8th graders..120 13 & 14 year olds...

and, that explains why I am losing it, eh?

(Note, I'm using "eh?" because I want to sound like Bob Hartley, coach of the Avalanche..)

14. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

I don't have any problem with somebody using the "ignore" feature, for goodness sakes. :) I just have a problem with the feature itself. Let's say, for example, that Your Nemesis has irritated you thoroughly for quite a long time. Deciding that you no longer wish to read what Your Nemesis writes, you put him (or her) on "ignore." Voila, problem solved. Well, for now, anyway. A week goes by, and somebody else posts a terribly interesting comment about how to lower APRs. Your Nemesis then replies with his typical sarcasm, vitriol, and overall evilness. Oh yeah, right between vitriol and overall evilness, Your Nemesis actually had something interesting to say about the three magic words you should tell Capital One to get an automatic 2 point APR reduction. Oops, you missed that post. Your Nemesis also managed to turn the thread on its ear, and all the rest of the posts no longer make any sense to you. In fact, every time you're reading a thread here and something doesn't make sense, you're left wondering, "Hmm, is the reason I'm not following this because some of the people I put on 'ignore' happened to participate here?"

I have a radical suggestion instead. Why not simply decide that what Your Nemesis has to say no longer matters to you. Pay less attention to the man behind the curtain. Quit letting this person rent so much space in your head that you have an emotional reaction every time he engages you in name-calling like some misbehaving fourth grader. If you stop reacting, he'll eventually move along to somebody else who's more fun to harass. It's like an obscene phone caller. Tell him through tears that you're shocked, that you can't believe he's saying these horrible things to you, that you'll make sure he goes to jail, that you'll get him one better before he gets you, ad nauseum, and he'll keep calling. Hang up five or ten or twenty times, and he'll find some other phone number to call. People like that just love the negative attention. Don't give any. Don't become embroiled in anybody else's dyadic nightmare.

Finally, there's another reason why the "ignore" feature may not be your best option. If you "ignore" everybody who challenges, nags, insults, and generally pisses you off to the Nth degree, you'll eventually miss something that may actually change you for the better. Maybe, just maybe, you've got something to learn from Your Nemesis, painful as those lessons may be. You're a grown-up (even if Your Nemesis isn't). You can handle it.

Your free therapist,

Doc

15. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Nana,

Let's put it this way. Last year my then 14 year old daughter got into the world's worst argument with her best friend of 5 years.

I thought the problem was resolved when we had a talk at home.

Then we got it resolved in the car. My daughter and I have wonderful talks in the car.

The problem arose again! What is going on here???

I, then was even more sure the problem was solved when the other girls mother had a talk with both girls.

The problem arose again, only with another spin too it. You see my daughter was actually the problem not the other girl. The other girl was only reacting BUT both are at fault.

So what to do?

I reminded Melinda that she used to visit the den with me on occasion in days gone by. In the den there is a big comfortable chair ( for me anyway) with no arms. I always sat comfortably while she lay across my lap.

She got the picture. No further mention of the problem ever came up again.

This problem needs to die. On to CREDIT!

16. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Wow Doc thanks for the session, how much do I owe you??? LOL. Anyway I do see your point, very few are on my list, but the few that are never have ever contributed anything worthwhile to me anyway. But I do understand what you are talking about:)

17. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok, this is totally an uncalled for comment but the most fun I had with a crank phone caller was when I forwarded my calls to the police department after his 6th call. Call #7 was his last! ::::smirk::::

Can I forward the posts to the police? oh,no, that won't work, will it?

18. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

LOL, Momof3, you owe me just $49.99 (which is the going price around here, cough, cough) and I'll let you put it on CREDIT! (If that last sentence didn't result in at least a half dozen readers putting me on ignore, then I guess I'm relatively safe, because that's as stupid as I get.) :)

NanaC, now THAT is funny! :)

Doc

19. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Doc, see how smart I am?? I knew you weren't a therapist cuz NO therapist is FREE! or for that matter, no therapist is $49.99! :) :) :)

I now intend to meditate on your words and while doing so I intend to IGNORE people...

Oh, and as for you explanation about missing important parts of threads, I just ....say that...find ways (blank spot) join with the (blank spot) credit power (blank spot) 32 deletions (blank spot) and that's all you do!

20. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

if you get there first, leave a mark, if I get there first, I'll erase it...

Hahahahahahaha LOL ROTFLMAOPIP

I'm ignoring me!...what? Helloooooo! But operator you rang my number.

-Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.