Illegal Collection-How to Act

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NanaC, Apr 17, 2001.

1. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Please suggest steps for handling this:

A collection agency has contacted us for a whopping $26.20. They had called and provided me a copy of their license number in their state. I called to verify license number and it expired last year. It was non-renewed. I have the letter with envelope postmarked. They have NOT reported to credit bureaus. They are also not licensed in my state.

How do I respond to them? The man at the state agency said that if I forwarded the letter to them, it would be a felony (impersonating a licensed entity or semething like that).

What would you do next? Thank you.

2. LoFico

LoFico Well-Known Member

Re: Illegal Collection-How to

OOOOOOOOOH send it in!

3. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

A whole new angle of attack

I'd thought of that idea sometime before, but like some other things that slip our minds, it's something that I should have addressed.

Demanding that information from the collection agencies and then checking them out in their state and in your state would likely be a potent angle in at least some cases and most likely could be used to great advantage at times.

Bill Bauer

4. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

Re: A whole new angle of attac

I would also file a complaint with your State Attorney General. They are not allowed to collect in a state in which they are not licensed. Some states are better than others regarding consumer complaints, so it is the luck of the draw.

5. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok, Should I respond to them in any way??

6. cable666

cable666 Well-Known Member

Yes, you should respond disputing the debt before 30 days, otherwise they can proceed with collection actions. Make them prove to you that you legally owe them money.

In the meantime, get the state to pursue felony charges on them.

7. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Hmm...can't I go back to the creditor since the company is obviously illegal??

Thanks

8. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Should I send a C&D letter to collection agency?

9. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

You can anyway.

Yes, you can do that anyway if the original creditor is still up and running. If the company is gone, bankrupt, sold out or whatever so that you can no longer contact them, Oh Well! You did what you could.

But you really need to get rid of the collection agency once and for all before you try it or it might not do you much good since the creditor turned it over to them. Get rid of them and then the creditor would have to find a new collection agency to sic on you. Then you have a new enemy to fight. Also, if you don't get rid of the collection agency and the creditor does agree to let you settle with him, the collection agency will most likely come back and still claim you owe them their fees and charges.

I've seen that happen too.

NanaC wrote:
    >
    > Hmm...can't I go back to the creditor since the company is
    > obviously illegal??
    >
    > Thanks

10. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Re: You can anyway.

Ok, this amount is so small. We have already paid it..we paid it with X.com who wnet out of business. In January, twice I requested a copy of the check showing payment and they promised to send it. I never got it. I only have a duplicate.

Anyway, For $26 I don't mind double paying it to see it go away. But, if I pay the doctor (it's a doctor) directly, will that cause me problems later?

11. tessa

tessa Guest

Have you tried contacting your bank to make certain the check cleared? Your bank is required to keep copies of cleared checks. You could get a copy of the check, then show that the bill was paid, and demand that they remove the item.

12. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

X.com didn't really go out of business. They just changed their focus. They are now operating as PayPal.

13. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

X.com may not have gone out of business..so to speak, but I have spoken with 2 customer service reps since January both who made promises of the checks and never delivered. Now I get nothing...nada..no response. I went to Planet Feedback..no response.

I can't get the dang copies of the checks even when they talk to me!