I'm 16, can I get a credit car

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Grant, Jun 19, 2000.

1. Grant

Grant Guest

I run a (fairly succesful) print/web design/e-commerce business. A credit card would be VERY helpful to me as I have to make purchases over the internet frequently. The problem is that I am 16, and I can't find a credit card company with an age limit that low. My parents are getting sick of me borrowing their credit card. I don't need a very high limit, and I wouldn't be using it very much (I have a good head on my shoulders, unlike some teenagers)

Any help would be much appreciated!

~Grant Gordon

2. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

RE: I'm 16, can I get a credit

No creditor will grant somebody under 18 a credit card because legally you are not obligated to pay, thus if you default they have no recourse.

But there are various other options created specifically for teenagers, amongst them

Prepaid Visa and MasterCards

Of particular interest to you may be the CardEx MasterCard iCard, check out the details at www.cardex.com.

Then there are the "payment systems for teenagers" going by the names RocketCash (www.rocketcash.com), Cybermoola (www.cybermoola.com) and PocketCard (www.pocketcard.com).

Possibly the best of these may be the Cobalt Card (www.cobalt.com).

A company that focuses on "cyber" shopping for teenagers is DoughNET.com via the use of an ATM card

But you'll need a parent's signature for this
    card.

Hey look at it this way, if your doing this good at 16 it won't be too many years before your parents are borrowing your credit cards.

3. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

You might also want to read this article at http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20000508.asp

4. Grant

Grant Guest

thanks a million!

5. spyguyjim

spyguyjim Guest

Grant,

Capital One has a "High School Student Card" that you can apply for with a guarantor with established credit. It will establish credit in your name so when you turn eighteen, you'll be able to go for other cards.

Good luck with your business ventures!

http://www.capitalone.com

6. David D.

David D. Guest

Grant-

I understand Capital One has a "High School Student" VISA. It would be in your name, and one of your parents would be the guarantor of the debt. I believe the limit is a maximum of $1000, and that's if your parents allow it to be that high. You expressed you do not need a high limit, so I think that may be a non-issue. Good luck!