I'm in collections and want to pay. Have I already made mistakes? What next?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ethanclose, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ethanclose

ethanclose New Member

So,

I have 3 accounts in collections and I would like to pay them off. I have called all three of the CAs and two of them agreed to send me a bill. One said that they wouldn't send a bill and that I could only dispute the charge. All three of these charges are valid as far as I know and I have NO documentation whatsoever to contest anything. I do have credit reports from a year ago where the amount is different for one of them and the CA is different for another.

I want to pay all of them now. However, based on everything I've read here, I should not do that over the phone and I should get something in writing before I do anything. I've also just read that I should not call them anymore. So here are my questions:

1) When I get the two bills, should I pay them? If not, what should I do?

2) For the CA that won't send me anything, what should I do? Send a dispute letter even though I don't have anything to dispute? Or send some sort of "offer"?

3) Should I write letters to all three saying, "I will pay the full amount if you mark these accounts as "paid in full"?

4) Have I screwed up royally by talking to them? I did not admit that I owed money.

Please help.

Sincerely,
    Ethan.

2. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

Don't worry about the fact that you've already spoken with them on the phone. That's ok, but I would suggest keeping your communication in writing going forward.

Have you sent DV letters to each of these CAs? If not, that should be your first step. You need to protect your rights under the FDCPA and make sure you're paying the party that actually has the right to collect your debt. Are you still within the 30-day time period since they first contacted you regarding these debts?

3. ethanclose

ethanclose New Member

Thanks so much for responding. All of these debts are over 3 years old. I'm suspect they've sent letters, but I ignored them don't have them anymore. I claimed to have received nothing from them. I haven't sent DVs because I didn't think they would respond if it had been over 30 days. Should I still send DVs?

Thanks again.

Ethan.

4. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

I still think it's worth sending the DV. Are the debts still within the SOL too?

5. ethanclose

ethanclose New Member

Thanks. I will send DVs. And, yes, they are all within the SOL.