I'm new!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by anna, Oct 8, 2001.

1. anna

anna Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! I'm new to credit repair but a few months ago I realized I had to do something about our terrible credit.I didn't think I could do it myself,but decided it was worth a try,as we sure couldn't afford to pay anyone to do it for us. I got all three reports (for free,of course,with all the turndowns),after fighting with Experian,as they requested everything but fingerprints before they would send it. Also, I had to go through The Credit Bureau,located in our state,to get the report from Experian. I was amazed when the deletions came pouring in. EXCEPT FOR EXPERIAN. I'll get to that later. Transunion has been the easiest to work with. I still have a problem with a state tax lein. (Public record.) If I agree to pay this,will it be removed from the record,or will it remain? If unpaid, it is my understanding that tax leins will remain forever. These are taxes withheld from paychecks but never turned into the state by the employer-now bankrupt.
    Back to Experian-These people are the most hard-headed bunch I have ever come accross in my life! If you misspell a word they send it back for correction. There 30 days to investigate will never expire at this rate. I'm so tired of their stall tactics I could puke! We need a new car but every time we try to get financing,who do they pull? You guessed it! In the meantime,we're adding inquires.How much does that actually hurt. I've heard both ways. Will someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I know a couple who had a home foreclosed on, defaulted on personal loans,and had credit card charge-offs amounting to over 64 thousand dollars,all within the past 5 years,but are now able to finance anything they want and have a bunch of new credit cards. Don't tell me to ask them how they did it as there is bad blood between us,and are not on speaking terms. Maybe someone out there can tell me.

anna

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Hi Anna, welcome to the board! I'll have a go at some of this:

Take your credit report number from experian and try to dispute online at their website - http://www.creditexpert.com You can get a 30 day free trial of their service also if you like, but you can dispute without it.

What is being done here is questionable IMO. I am not a lawyer, but it might be worth your while to talk to one. Also there is a legal board at http://counsel.net/chatboards/legal-questions/

Re inquiries:
    It can hurt big time in your situation. Hold off for a while and work on your derogs.

3. anna

anna Well-Known Member

I cannot despute online with Experian- it comes up that I must go through The Credit Bureau. They have no web site-at least none that I can find.

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Well, hang on and check back, cause some folks here have figured out how to do it.

What is the name of the local bureau?

5. anna

anna Well-Known Member

The name IS "The Credit Bureau". It's located in Pittsburgh. My husband and I clear 3500.00 a month and have a house payment of 450. that is all the loans we have, and we cannot get a piece of bubblegum financed. Is it the tax lein? It's only $600!

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Yes, tax liens are devastating to your credit, regardless of the reason. I am checking with an attorney now to see if what they did is legal. I kinda don't think so.

Even after you pay it it will continue to hurt you - I know I have them. Paid since 1996, still an ouchie on my credit.

7. anna

anna Well-Known Member

How long after being paid can a public record remain on your record? Equifax has deleted this, but so far they are the only ones.

8. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Tax liens stay on for 7 years from date paid.

9. rubyjean

rubyjean Well-Known Member

Anna,
    I would not think twice about giving you credit if the you had a tax lien of only 600.00... By the way your post is written , it looks like the reason for denial could be lack of revolving credit .. I do not how old you are or how long you have had credit.. If the only loan that you have is a Mortgage, and you have not had established Revolving credit cards from Major Companies, that can hurt you.. You may have a logical reason such as never used credit cards, ect.. There are a lot of people 2 years post BKO that have a mortgage along with Your income of 3500.00 per month.. There are lots of reasons for Tax Liens, they are not always the kiss of death.. On the other had you if had Tax lien for 20000.00 that would be a different story..

Good Luck..

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Rubyjean,

Can I apply and send my application straight to you, LOL? You have some brains.

just teasing

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Okay Anna, I have an answer from an attorney. This is unheard of. Something is wrong. You shouldn't have to pay this, there shouldn't be any judgment against you for this. Have you ever spoken with an attorney about it? It wouldn't cost much just to get some advice over the phone. If it was me, I'd rather pay the lawyer than pay the judgment. And you might have a lawsuit, depending on what actually happened.

12. anna

anna Well-Known Member

Yes, we've already talked to an attorney, were told that untill the company's bankruptcy is resolved in the courts,we are legally responsible for our own state taxes.This was the lawyer who represents the union. I cannot afford to hire a private lawyer and pay him thousands of dollars over a 600$ bill. Maybe I can scare the other two into deleting it
    for free. Maybe not.

13. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Wow! What state is this?

14. anna

anna Well-Known Member

PA "The Land of Taxes" Perhaps you've heard of us!

15. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Well, that policy stinks!!

You paid those taxes. They are the ones who require withholding. Now your credit is trashed and you didn't do anything wrong.

16. anna

anna Well-Known Member

Well, I WILL have this removed from my record. Those people at the credit bureaus will be sorry they ever heard my name. They just don't understand that we can do it the easy way or the hard way. However, it will eventually be done my way. "My way,my way or the highway" (a little musical note)

17. cariba

cariba Well-Known Member

I had a NY state tax lien entered in 5/2000. Paid it by 5/2001. Had it removed from Equifax in 8/2001. Not so lucky with the other 2 CRAs...yet. It's some weird luck of the draw.

Good luck.

cariba

18. raiderpam

raiderpam Well-Known Member

Hi carbia, how did you manage to get the tax lein removed, Thanks Pam

19. KHM

KHM Well-Known Member

Anna if this was taken directly from your paycheck, does it show up on your check stubs? my hubby has child support taken out and it shows up on there.
    Kellie

20. KHM

KHM Well-Known Member

One more question, not really directed towards Anna, more towards Breeze. will it help her to hold off fighting the other to bureaus until Christmas time, due to that seasonal thing everyone talks about?
    kellie