I'm Settling w/ The Original C

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cadillac408, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Recap:

Co-signed for a car for my ex man. He blew the engine and left the car on the side of the freeway. Also stopped making the payments. I didn't not find out about this until I got a letter from the courts. Judment was entered for the remaining amount on the car. Towing company has been on my back (via a collection agency) for over 2 years now for towing fees. I was thinking about working with the collection agency and had arrangements to settle for 1/2 the amount ($600) but at the time I didn't know to negotiate something about my credit rating. So I reneged and didn't send them the money. So today I was talking about this to a co worker and they suggested that I call the original creditor (the towing co.). I thought they sold my debt to the collection agency but I just found out that the collection agency is collecting on the towing company's behalf! So I just got off the phone with the Towing people and I am going to go down there tomorrow and work something out. I already stated that I didn't have much money to work with (I'm going to offer them $300 and that's it!). They stated that if I pay them directly, they will pull my account from the collection agency and tell them to delete any information reporting to the agencies! Of course I'm going to get this all in writing. I'll draft my settlement letter tonight. So, this takes care of this matter. I doubt Junum could of did anything...I've already done everything and these fools wouldn't budge! Aside from the judgment, this was the only other mark on my report that is ugly ($1K+ unpaid collection). Everything else is paid charge-off or paid collection. Hopefully junum can take care of that.

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hey MP long time no see, great

Well that is great if you can get them to delete the darn thing. Like you know make sure you get it in writing first before any money changes hand. Hopefully your luck is changing girl:)

Mom

3. Cadillac408

Hey Mom!

I've been here......just lurking though. Haven't had any comments to make. Thanks for the good word. Once I get this taken care of, my report will look much better. Still have work to do, but that will be over time I guess at the hands of Junum (hopefully).

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: Hey Mom!

You speechless??LOL. well maybe we can chat sometime soon? I'm so happy for you that you are finally getting this one taken care of, and let's hope Junum gets cracking:)

Mom

5. Cadillac408

Well, let me know when the next chat will be because after Monday, I will literally be *GHOST*!!!!!! I have plans for the whole month of December that don't even include lurking around the boards! They include money, gambeling, friends, my significant other, concerts, xmas parties, my kids, skiing, and of course drinking (in no specific order of course)! Cheers!

____
    /
    /
    ||
    ||
    ~~~~

Like my Martini? :-D

MP$40

6. Cadillac408

HEY! My glass got messed up!

OOps!!!! Oh well...

7. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Me too Mp, december is busy. Maybe I will try to jump in tonight and catch you, if my little angel doesn't stay up to late:)

Mom

8. skip

skip Guest

RE: I'm Settling w/ The Origin

MP,Firstly if you were a co-signer would'nt your name be on the title? In my state (Cal) the tow co has to notify any interested party of their lien. Since they did not it confirms that you are not responsible for the lien. Also if they would have notified you, you most probably would have gotten the car before it reached such high fees. Something is not right here, are you sure the judgement is valid. I hate tow companies they are crooks licensed to steal.

9. Cadillac408

RE: I'm Settling w/ The Origin

The judgment is for the remaining balance on the auto loan.

Yes I was notified of the lien sale but what was I to do? They contacted the finance company and told them that they had the vehicle in their posession and that it was basically no good (blown engine) so the finance company let them have the car and took me to court. The process is once they file a lien and obtain the vehicle, then sell the car and all proceeds of the sale go towards the storage fees, etc. and the remaining balance is sent to collections! That's where I'm at! I'm going over there right now to get more information. It sucks but what am I to do? This is a major hit on my credit report right now. I need to do something. Hopefully they will accept my offer ($300 and complete deletion from collection agency). If not, then I'll leave it alone for a while.......then send out another offer maybe or trying something else.

10. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Is you're name on title?

If you're name isn't on the title, then you shouldn't be responsible for the towing. If it is, they should of contacted you as soon as they towed it and made arrangements with you to get it out of impound

11. Cadillac408

RE: Is you're name on title?

Yes my name was on the title. I was not contacted until I got the letter in the mail with the lein sale paperwork. Since it was my ex's car, I told them that they could have the car if the wanted it. I thought this would clear me of any fees due. It didn't! :-( Just found out today that they sold the car (w/ blown engine) for $125! They applied that to the fees. That's o.k. cause I've done what I needed to do to get this off of my report.....I'll post an update.