improved score with blue-acorn.com?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by atlantaguy, Jun 10, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atlantaguy

atlantaguy Member

Has anyone used blue-acorn.com to improve their credit score? My cousin told me she used them and it improved her score by 30 points. As I understand it, you can apply for a line of credit with a cheap monthly payment. She had nothing but good things to say about it, but I was wondering if anyone else had tried it.

2. jjgross

jjgross Well-Known Member

How come its always your cousin and never the actual person that post's or a friend,neighbor?

3. atlantaguy

atlantaguy Member

She doesn't have the question. I do.

4. jjgross

This is a diy credit repair site so i don't think you will find anyone on here that would need to use their services.however if you stay on here the people can help raise your score.I've raised mine over 100 points in a year.

5. sparq

sparq Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume he was actually asking for a review, but since this forum exists to help people correct their own credit reports and deal with unruly collectors on their own, I don't think a "boost your score 600 points for $9.99" site is going to get favorable reviews here.

In other news, that's the longest run-on sentence I've ever typed.

6. jjgross

We will note and check and see if its a new record for a sentence.

7. atlantaguy

atlantaguy Member

oh, okay. I was under the impression it wasn't one of those sites. It's kind of like having a credit card with a $5,000 balance on a $10,000 limit. The side effect is you have better credit than if you had maxed out your card, but I didn't think they were charging to "repair" credit the same way credit card companies don't charge to "repair" or "establish" credit. I'll look into it further.

8. jjgross

Oh ok but if its' still at 5,000 beginning it's at 50 percent of balance and that's not good,if it was at 0% or 10% it would be much better but your starting at $5,000 in debt.So i would think not that good!

9. atlantaguy

atlantaguy Member

I was just using a random number. I know if you have a $1,000 balance on a $10,000 limit you will have a better score than a $5,000 balance on the same limit.

I was just saying that I don't think blue-acorn.com is a website that claims to improve your score anymore than Citibank Visa's claims to improve your score. It's just a side effect of having a low balance on a high credit limit. Of course, I'll look into that website a little further.

10. yuck

yuck Banned

You will end up with at least one credit inquiry and your account will be sold to a finance company so best case scenario is a subprime finance company account and one inquiry on your reports. Not good.

11. atlantaguy

atlantaguy Member

It worked for her and improved her score by 30 points. I'll ask her again and look into the website further.

12. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

It could be like one of those catalog operations where you buy overpriced merchandise from their catalog and not only pay inflated prices but inflated interest rates as well.

13. atlantaguy

atlantaguy Member

Well, there's no interest.

14. sparq

sparq Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Among their $50 books are such well-known classic titles as "100 Brownie Recipes", "97 Steps To A Happy Relationship", "Wise Sayings", "Dogs", and "How To Get A Job".

And for $145 (minimum), they'll let you apply for credit.

Tell ya what. I'm going to suggest that a better way to improve your credit score is to take that $145 and put it towards a monthly budget. Or use it to avoid having to skip this month's credit card payment.

After looking through that site, I say it ranks somewhere between "worthless" and "waste of time". But that's just my opinion. :)

15. atlantaguy

atlantaguy Member

Well, she doesn't have trouble with a monthly budget. Apparently, it's just that she has had trouble in the past and now that her credit is dinged, she was having trouble finding someone who would give her credit. I'll ask her again, but she claims it worked for her.

16. sparq

sparq Well-Known Member

It may "work", but it looks like one of the worst possible ways to go about boosting your credit. I would say that a good secured card (which I normally don't recommend) would be far more effective and practical. Better still, go to your local bank (or even American General if you have to) and ask about setting up a personal loan, then pay it off in one year.

17. yuck

yuck Banned

Read their faq. The best scenario will be the addition of a personal finance account to your report. This may improve your score by 30 points if you have sub 500 scores and have no other tradelines. When you get up to the mid 600's you will be looking for a way to get rid of that tradeline as it will be seen as a negative to fico. It is a waste of money. If you are that much in need then use crown jewelers or bigappleoutlet. At least you will get a revolving account which matters to Fico. Fixed installment accounts have little impact on Fico, even prime ones. Subprime personal finance loans can hurt more than they help.

18. atlantaguy

atlantaguy Member

The problem with credit cards, as seen by all the legislation these days, is the fees they charge and the unilateral changes they make to your credit line that negatively effect your score. Like I said, it worked for her, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the tips.

19. yuck

yuck Banned

It is obvious you are spamming the board for blue-acorn and/or you don't understand fico. I give you a "B" for effort. Like I said, the main problem with your scheme is that fico doesn't care much about installment tradelines and even less about subprime finance company tradelines. You need revolving lines to improve your fico score.

20. sparq

sparq Well-Known Member

There are respectable secured cards out there. I just don't like them on principle because I think it's better to put that money into "emergency savings" than rely on a card, but that's a whole other thread.

My advice is that there are far better, less expensive, and more beneficial ways to rebuild your credit just as quickly as signing up for some inflated vendor's private line of credit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.