In Collection but not reported..yet

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Phreedom, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Phreedom

Phreedom Well-Known Member

I'll keep this quick as possible

I have an account in collection (local telco screw up with Quest). Anyhoo, local telco agrees the screw up is theirs, sends me a check to cover the account.

Now the account is in collection but not reported yet. I have no problem paying the 78.00 bucks since it's not out of my pocket but I want to protect myself and make sure they don't report it AFTER I pay it. Any suggestions?

2. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Send them a validation letter - make them prove the debt.

3. merlin

merlin Well-Known Member

Not sure why you would want to upset the apple cart here . . .

If I'm understanding this correctly, the telco sent you the money to cover the debt. Rather than going the validation route, why not just send them a settlement offer (pay in full for agreement not to ever report to CRAs).

Seems much more expedient. Of course, if they decide to be jerks, you can always go the validation route.

4. dixidriftr

dixidriftr Well-Known Member

Go ahead and pay the CA.

If the CA shows up on your report, you can sue the telco for damage to your credit report caused by thier own negligence, with the letter and check being an admission of guilt.

Go to a mortgage broker and get a high interest rate quote.

Dispute the paid CA on your reports. FICO doesn't count EQ account that are in dispute, you can get a before and after score diffrence.

Get another quote from the mortgage broker using the high score. The diffrence would be substantial actual damages.

5. Phreedom

Thanks for the tips! I called them this morning and they faxed me a letter stating the account has not been reported to any of the CRA's and will be NOT be reported. Here's the kicker though, they also included that the account is PAID IN FULL. This was before I paid them LOL. I was thinking devilishly at the time of calling them back and saying "THANKS SUCKERS" LOL.

6. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Local telco probably sent something to Qwest to say they had screwed up, Qwest pulled it back from collections and said it was paid in full, and all this was happening as you were validating.

Congratulations--you have a clean report AND $78!!

7. Phreedom

Actually, I paid it anyway as I wanted it out of my hair. I tried to get local telco to pay it directly to the CA but they wouldn't do it.

It seems as though both quest and local telco were wrong. Quest submitted the change request without my consent. Local telco approved it. Local telco finally admitted fault because they didn't follow procedure in confirming the change, hence the 78 bucks they sent me.

I could have fought this and I'm sure I could have won but I would just as soon have it out of my hair and one less thing to fight on my reports.