Incorrect Late Payments

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Michael, Oct 23, 2000.

1. Michael

Michael Guest

Does anyone have a solution to credit card companies who claim taht a payment was late when it was mailed well ahead of teh due date. It seems that it doesn't matter when you mail it only when the comapny SAYS they received it. They do not have to PROVE when they actually received it but you have to prove that they got it on time. Obviously there is no way unless you mailed all of your payments by certified mail. How does one combat this?

2. Samantha

Samantha Guest

You can do the payments over the phone or over the internet. If you can't do that you can ask the post office for a return receipt every time you mail a payment to th company. that way the post office sends you a receipt telling you when they delivered the bill to the company.

3. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Return receipt? Wow...

Could you imagine having to do a return receipt everytime you mailed your bill in? That's asking too much! If you have to do this, then maybe it's time you sought out another credit card company. Most of the good sub-prime banks have pay on-line as we all know.

Maybe if you signed up for one of those bill payment services were you can pay ALL of your bills on-line??? A good one is www.transpoint.com. For a small fee, you can pay all of your bills on line.

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: Return receipt? Wow...

I COUGHT A CREDIT CARD COMPANY POSTING A PAYMENT A WEEK AFTER IT CLEARED MY BANK...THEY SAID IT WAS A COMPUTER ERROR AND REFUNDED THE LATE FEE + INTEREST!

HINT:WRITE DOWN THE EXACT DAY YOU MAIL THE PAYMENTS ON YOUR CALENDAR FOR YOUR CREDIT CARDS, THEN WHEN THEY POST THEM. DO THIS FOR A FEW MONTHS, THEN YOU WILL KNOW ABOUT HOW LONG IT SHOULD TAKE.

WATCH THEM LIKE A HAWK!!!

5. Michael

Michael Guest

I have done just that. It has taken as much as 20 days to receive payments according to the company. This is totally rediculous but you have no way to prove when they receive it. It only counts when someone posts it to your account. It could site in their office for a week before being posted. Obviously this pays well as they can bill you an additional $25.00 each month.

6. Michael

Michael Guest

I have used a bill payment company. They say it was mailed in plenty of time and the company said that it arrived late. The credit card company has the last say unless you can PROVE when they received it.

7. Saar

Saar Banned

"The credit card company has the last say unless you can PROVE when they received it."

Or unless you work with a company that doesn't pull that kind of tricks. I've worked with Capital One, the Associates, and of course Amex. While they obviously don't fit into the same category, none would try to pull anything like it. Of course, the best (and cheapest) bet is to make ACH payment through your issuer's on-line service. I've paid Amex online on SUNDAY(!), and it was posted to my account the same day - they didn't even wait for the next business day!

Saar

8. Michael

Michael Guest

saar wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Of course, the best (and cheapest) bet is to make ACH payment through your issuer's on-line service. I've paid Amex online on SUNDAY(!), and it was posted to my account the same day - they didn't even wait for the next business day!

Saar

This is a nice idea but First USA, for example) will tell you that it takes 7 to 10 days to post your payment when you use the internet service, even though it comes out of your account the same day. MBNA is the worst for not posting payments on time.

9. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I use MBNA, and they post on the date I specify.

10. check out

check out Guest

chase maanhatten and providian have both been sued by customers who were forced to pay extra int and late fees even though the payments.

11. check out

check out Guest

were made on time. go to http;//ccr.faulknergray.com/archive.htm scroll through it.good luck!