info on closing cross ctry acc

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mary, May 13, 2000.

1. mary

mary Guest

I have a cross country visa that I applied for before ever reading this board (wish I had seen this board first!). I want to close the account. What would be the best way to do this? I have the money to pay it off and I am just wondering if anyone has any advice. I don't want to close it and then have them screw it up and put "closed by credit grantor" on my credit report or anything like that.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member

RE: info on closing cross ctry

1. Pay the balance, plus two times the monthly interest.

2. Go one month without any charges (VERY IMPORTANT).

3. Send a certified letter asking the account be closed, copy chief scumbag Michael Shaw (address on a previous post), and the DE Bank Commission.

4. Once the account is closed, and you have a statement showing all zeros, notify the 3 crdit bureaus on your own.

5. One other way to get it, in writing, from Cross Country, is to write to the chief scumbag with a complaint. Make him state to the DE Bank people that the account is now closed. That way you have it in writing.

6. In contrast, I just closed a small limit card with Traveler's Bank last week. It took one phone call, I had like a 50 dollar balance, and they said they would send a final bill...pay it when it arrives, and all is well..

Good luck.

Good luck..

3. miles

miles Well-Known Member

I recently closed my account with Cross Country Bank. Surprisingly it was very easy. I had a $0 balance for a couple of months. I wrote a letter stating that I wanted the account closed & the reasons why(up to & including the interest rate, toll # to reach customer service, etc). I stated I wanted my credit bureau reports to read "closed by consumer" & I wanted a written confirmation of my account closure. I also cut my credit card in half & included it in the envelope(& had written in the letter that I had done this). Last but no least, I copied all three credit bureaus with this letter(cc: on the letter so CCB knew I did)& mailed return receipt requested. CCB closed my account correctly & I received my letter of closure within 10-12 days. Very painless, thank God!

4. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

This is essentially the proper way to close any credit card account. You are not required to provide a reason for closing the account though. They will generally ask you for a reason (if you call), primarily for statistical purposes or to try to convince you to keep the card. (All of the sudden they will waive the annual fee, or lower the interest rate a little.) If pressed you can always give a reason like, "I'm going to apply for a mortgage in a couple of months and I'm reducing the amount of open credit that I have."

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member

I did the same...it just took 2 billing cycles...at one point, they refunded a credit balance and then charged interest..

The easier way is if you dispute someething, King of Idiots Michael Shaw will use the fact that "this account has been closed" as his defense for his actions...thereby giving you confirmation...

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member

Comparatively, I closed an account a week ago with Travelers...called them...asked if I need to send the card back or send them a letter...the guy said "no"..gave me his name, and said "let us know if we can be of further help..your final statement is on it's way.."..

7. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right about not having to supply all of the information I gave. I just wanted Cross Country Bank to know why customers are closing their accounts. Hopefully these reasons will force them to make some changes to keep their customers. Hopefully enough customers doing this will help the customers who choose to stay.....maybe! :)