Innovis

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by roni, Oct 20, 2001.

1. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Innovis Data Solutions

I wrote a letter to request my credit report recently. They responded with the following....

Reference P050

Dear Consumer:

Innovis has received your request to update your credit report <didn't ask for an update- asked for a copy>. We are developing a credit database and currently INNOVIS DOES NOT PROVIDE ON-LINE CREDIT REPORTS <didn't ask for on-line access> to businesses where you can apply for credit, insurance or employment. We are hoeful in the near future we can be of assistance to you and provide credit reports on-line as the other repositories, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion <again, didn't ask for online and as we know TU does not even offer it!>.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at 800-540-2505 <I WILL BE MONDAY :)>

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations
    :jc

Post Office Box 219297
    Houston, TX 77218-9297
    FAX 281.504.2594

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Re: Innovis Data Solutions

Thanks for supply the 800# and fax Innovois! :)

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Oh kewel!

Didn't they tell Greg that they are a credit reporting agency and that he can get his file.

4. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

They sent me the same letter. I called them and they insisted on the phone that it was true.

5. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Send copies of all your letters to Greg and let him play with this. It should be fun!!

info from Greg's post

6. OtherTerri

I pulled out my letter from Innovis, dated july 30, 2001. It is exactly the same, reference number and all.

I noted on the letter that I called them on 8-3, and was told "We are developing a database, but not reporting your info, YET."

I sent in my request after someone on the board suggested that we all request our reports from them, so my husband and I both did. I posted here that we received this response when I received the letter in August. I was kinda' disappointed that others didn't try it...

7. OtherTerri

I re-read the thread from August 4, and Chriscraft said the same thing happened to him, and he was going to send a nasty letter on legal letterhead, then let us know what happened.

Chriscraft - Are you out there?????

8. OtherTerri

I forgot to mention this, CBC is my local Equifax office. Innovis is listed on their website. I still don't understand how a collection agency and a credit bureau are in the same office together. Doesn't seem right. They check my credit report regularly too. Their name is very deceptive too.

9. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Equifax has a collections division. They handle most of American Express' business in the southeast..........

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

yeah, here it's Retail Merchants Association - I have tangled with them a few times over my Mom's medical bills.

They are local affiliate credit bureau/collection agency. They get attentive here when you say "lawyer." LOL.

11. chriscraft

chriscraft Well-Known Member

Innovis tried to pull this same crap with me. I faxed them a real nasty letter on my law firm's letterhead (I am a lawyer), and I had my reports in hand within 3 days of the day they received my letter. Tomorrow I will try to post the letter I sent to them.

Just f.y.i., I had two negative items on my Innovis report, which I promptly challenged. One was a'93 Chpater 7 bankruptcy listing and the other a chargeoff from FCNB. Innovis deleted both of them very quickly. Too bad Experian doesn't work this way.

-chriscraft

12. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Well... I called today. The guy who answered the telephone claimed they are not currently collecting a credit database, they have no commercial clients who would request a consumer credit report and that there is not currently anyone who has a Innovis credit report.

As such, he was unable to provide me with a copy of my report. I got his name and number for future reference.

13. QUEEN_BEE

QUEEN_BEE Well-Known Member

Way to go Chris!!!!!!!!!! Are you still going to post the letter? PLLLLEEEESE DO!

What info did you have to give them to get a report? I will be ordering one ASAP!

14. chriscraft

chriscraft Well-Known Member

Love, here's the letter I used. I have obviously redacted all of my personal information, and you will have to modify the section which makes reference to California statutes (unless you are a resident of California, that is, and the laws are applicable to you, too.). Hope this helps. Good luck.

_____________, 2001

Innovis Data Solutions VIA FACSIMILE AND
    P.O. Box 219297 U.S. MAIL CERTIFIED
    Houston, Texas 77218-9297

Re: Demand for Disclosure of Consumer Credit File

Dear Sirs:

This letter is in regards to a very serious problem which I have encountered with your organization. If not promptly resolved to my satisfaction, this problem will likely have serious legal and financial repercussions for your company.

On ____________, 2001, I sent you a written request for disclosure of any and all credit files which Innovis maintains on me. A copy of my correspondence is enclosed for your reference. On or about _________, 2001, I received from you an unsigned form letter, a copy of which is enclosed, wherein you state that â??Innovis has received your request to update your credit reportâ? and that Innovis is â??developing a credit database and currently Innovis does not provide online credit reports to businesses where you apply for credit, insurance, or employment.â? [Emphasis in original.]

As you will note in my __________ correspondence, at no point did I request that Innovis â??update my credit reportâ? or provide me with an â??online credit reportâ?. Rather, I requested in the plainest terms that you simply provide me with a written copy of the credit file which you are maintaining on me. Despite the clarity of my letter, your company saw fit to send me a completely non-responsive reply to my disclosure request rather than to provide me with the
    information to which I am entitled. This is a wholly inappropriate and legally insufficient response.

As you know or, at least should know, the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (â??FRCAâ?), specifically 15 USC 1681, et seq., requires that upon request, a consumer reporting agency must disclose to an individual his or her credit file upon receipt of appropriate information proving the identity of that individual. For purposes of this statute, â??consumer reporting agencyâ? is defined in relevant part as â??any person which, for monetary fees, due, or on a cooperative nonprofit basis, regularly engages in whole or in part in the practice of assembling or evaluating consumer credit information or other information on consumers for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports to third parties . . .â?, and a credit â??fileâ? is defined as â??all information on [a] consumer recorded and maintained by a consumer reporting agency regardless of how the
    information is stored.â? 15 USC 1681a(f), (g). Similarly, California state law also requires that
    a consumer credit reporting agency promptly disclose to a consumer all files maintained on that
    consumer by the credit reporting agency. California Civ. Code §1785.15(b).

It is absolutely clear from merely a cursory inspection of the information displayed on your own company web site that Innovis is a repository of consumer credit information and files, and a result of its disclosure of such information to prospective third party credit providers, is a consumer reporting agency for purposes of both the federal FCRA and parallel California law. As such, Innovis is unconditionally obligated under both of these statutory authorities to disclose to me the complete contents of all files which Innovis maintains on me. The failure and/or refusal of Innovis to disclose this information makes available to me a number of remedies including, under California state law: (i) actual damages, including court costs, loss of wages,
    attorneyâ??s fees and, when applicable pain and suffering, (ii) if the failure to disclose is willful,
    punitive damages of up to Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000), and (iii) injunctive relief. California
    Civ. Code §1785.31(a)(1), (2), and (3). In addition, in the case of a class action claim, the class
    claimants may seek punitive damages. California Civ. Code §1785.31(c).

In light of the above, I hereby demand that Innovis immediately disclose to me any and all credit files and/or information which it is maintaining on me. Should you fail and/or refuse to timely make this disclosure as mandated by law, I will avail myself of all of my legal rights and remedies in order to compel you to disclose this information to me. You can easily avoid the significant expense, effort, and negative publicity associated with having to respond to such actions by simply fulfilling your legally mandated obligations. I trust that you would prefer to comply with the law voluntarily rather than to have a court of law force you to do so.

I look forward to your expeditious handling of this extremely serious matter.

Very truly yours,

xxxxxxxxxxx

enclosures

15. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

that's interesting. I actually got a signed letter asking for a paystub to verify my identity.

Their database has no names in it, I was told. Only social security numbers.

Therefore, they have to verify that x ssn is actually your ssn.

Not much verifying information they're using. But they never once denied that they were a cra.

Once you send correspondence they keep it and have a more comprehensive file on you. I think they ask for this information to build more of a file on you. But regardless, they never said they weren't a cra.

wow, do they really think they can pull that and still get people denied for credit.

If I had a letter of denial quoting innovis I'd go for some nice money. That's cut and dry.

16. QUEEN_BEE

QUEEN_BEE Well-Known Member

On what basis? I sure could use some money right now.:)