inq on straight checking account?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by DanS, Oct 5, 2003.

1. DanS

DanS Well-Known Member

Decided to open a second checking account to give my daughter a debit card she could use for college applications, travel expenses, etc. Just went through this last year w/my son and the last minute calls to get my CC number to submit online were something I wanted to avoid this time around.

So I fill out the paperwork and since I've had an account w/them for 8 years, figured it was pretty straight forward. Pull my EQ and find out they pulled an inquiry.

There was no credit line or CC associated w/this account, just regular checking. Anyone else get this recently?

I intend to challenge them on the inquiry, of course, but I'm wondering how common this is. If I wind up pulling my account over this, am I going to get another ding?

For everyone's benefit, it is Citizen's Bank.

2. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Thay can and do pull reports to open a checking or savings account.
    Nothing unusual here.

3. DanS

DanS Well-Known Member

Ok.. BUT I had an account w/them, plenty o' history, and there's nothing different here from what existed before (no cc, no overdraft) - and this is their top tier checking account, have my IRA there...

4. paw67

paw67 Well-Known Member

Anymore, I think that most major banks are doing a credit check to open any type of account. DH & I have a checking account with BofA and when we decided to open a savings account they did another hard inq.

paw67

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THEY CAN PULL...THEY DON'T HAVE TO...LIKE THERE IS NO LAW THAT MAKES THEM!!!

You can ask UP-FRONT "IF" they pull..."IF" they do...take your money and run!!! Don't run too fast since you will pass the bank nextdoor!!!

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

BE UP-FRONT WITH THEM...my business is granted to you "IF" you DON'T do a credit report...DO YOU WANT THE BUSINESS???

7. DHK

DHK Well-Known Member

Because the legal titling of the account is most likely different than your other accounts (you have a new account for your daughter who is on the account), this is most likely why a soft inquiry was pulled.

(It was a soft inquiry, right?)

Banks CAN use all sorts of means to verify financial responsibility before granting a new banking account to a new customer.

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

(It was a soft inquiry, right?)

I get the drift...IT WAS HARD...

9. DanS

DanS Well-Known Member

George, on the money guy - it was a HARD inquiry. I would not get upset about a soft.

My daughter had NOTHING to do w/the account - she's 17, I was told she CAN NOT have an account since she can't sign a contract.

This is an additional account, added to my existing checking, savings and IRA accounts. Because I have "circle checking", their highest tier (covered by a substantial deposit in the IRA), the second account is a fring benefit.

I don't care what's "routine" out there, this burns my ass and I will stick it back up theirs. I intend to apply for a mortgage in the next six months and now I have to wait longer for it to slip off?

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: inq on straight checking account?

2 YEARS (usually)

"THEY" say it does not HURT after 6 months...

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

...BUT "THEY" also say PAYING OFF ACCOUNTS does not hurt either!!!

12. snakeman

snakeman Well-Known Member

GEORGE your hysterical. I do know of several banks that DO NOT pull bureaus...just ChexSystems.

And The original poster said Citizens Bank? Are you in Michigan? I am and want to know if this is the same bank. If so, the funny thing is I opened an account with them 2 months ago and they just did the Chexsystems.

SnakeMan

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: inq on straight checking account?

I don't care about CHEXSYSTEMS...

I care about the F.I.C.O. "HIT" ON MY SCORE THAT IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!!!

14. DanS

DanS Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: inq on straight checking account?

I would not care about ChexSystems, I've got "nothing" on their report, just got a copy recently.

They (Citizen's Bank, MA) would know if I bounced any checks because they've had my account for the last 8 years!

BTW, I don't think any paperwork I signed said anything about a credit check. I was in a hurry, meant to ask, but I did look quickly.