Installment note

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jeff, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Can I deposit a set amount of money into a savings account or CD and borrow against it with monthly payments to get my score up? This forum is fantastic! Thanks

2. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Installment note
    Author: Jeff (proxy-1562.public.svc.webtv.net)
    Date: 04-13-01 03:54

Can I deposit a set amount of money into a savings account or CD and borrow against it with monthly payments to get my score up? This forum is fantastic! Thanks

Reply To Message == why not

3. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Well-Known Member

I just did this with my credit union. I bought a $1,000 CD and took out a 1-year installment loan against it. My interest rate is the interest rate on my CD plus 2 percentage points. Because it's fully secured, the credit union didn't even pull a credit report, though I think that's pretty uncommon.

4. Saar

Saar Banned

Re: secured loan

Recent information suggests that if the creditor reports your loan as secured, this could actually affect one's score negatively, the same way a tradeline w/ a finance company does.

But since some banks issue secured credit cards that aren't reported as such, it shouldn't be too difficult to obtain a secured loan that isn't reported as such.

"Secured loans" in this respect does not include car loans and mortgages, that - although secured - are coded differently.

Saar