Insurance for new auto???

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by judp, Sep 19, 2001.

1. judp

judp Member

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to make my purchase of a new car. Due to a divorce, I've been driving a car I've borrowed from my parents for the past 4 years, on their insurance.

Now that I'm going in to purchase new, and I do not have my own inusrance at this time, what do I need to do? How do I arrange insurance for a vehicle I've not yet purchased? Can I get temp insurance at the dealership?

Off topic, I know, but was hoping someone had experience in this.

Thanks much,

beth

2. Laray

Laray Well-Known Member

have you decided what kind of car you like? call around and get some quotes for the cars you are interested in and go from there.

3. MT

MT Well-Known Member

I've heard the AMEX auto insurance is good. I think you have to be a COSTCO member or something to get it - I'm going to check it out (eventually, hopefully soon) and will share with everyone.

4. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

Yes figure out which typ of vehicle you want to get and call the insurance companys and get quotes..Me and wife just went through this..Then when you get the bill of sale just go to the insurance company that you picked and they will give you papers to bring to registry..You could do this all in 1 day and better yet if you want to wait a while some insurance companys will get the plates for you..Over here in Massachusettes they have some law were the insurance is the same no matter where you go..Wife just got her license and put a 1994 ford taurus on the road with mininum insurance $1,400..I think that is a bit much..When i get my license back they want $5,000 for us both to be insured..Good luck on the fun adventure..Yes i thought i would add this many laugh at me..I bought this car on yahoo auction....

5. MT

MT Well-Known Member

GASP. is more like it. that seems like a very expensive rate. I wish we had a rule about insurance staying the same regardless of where you live in the state. That'd be nice.

6. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

Well people with step 9 would pay like 500 a year but i am step 32 and wife is neutrual at 15

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

your gonna get nailed for not having previous insurance. However immoral, i told progressive my 'rents policy # back in the day, and they took the info and gave me the non-newbie rate..

8. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Jupd,if you shop around for quotes,be sure and ask if they do a hard inquiry. A lot of them do.