insurance: READ THIS!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by sam, Mar 5, 2001.

1. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Progressive got me in the butt today! I rewrote my policy to reflect my improved driving record and lowered my deductibles! Great! Went from $330/month to $220/month, but GUESS WHAT! DENIED for any payment plan based on credit! One year ago, when all i had was a cap 1 and no credit repair! I was offered the 11 month payment plan! IS THIS CRAZY??
    They looked on my file and all payments were on time, never late. They said we're sorry due to your credit score, you must pay in full!

What a crock!!? Any comments?

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

They have to offer you a plan thru a finance co. that is just standard. if not screw progressive. I have better rates at STate Farms and I am sure you will too. They just sent me a letter TODAY with rate reduction.....

roni

3. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

I had Geico, moved and did not receive one of their billings and my policy lapsed. They wanted to increase my rate (after 10 years) to a higher rate due to lapse in insurance of less than a week. I obtained a policy with Progressive online, on a payment plan, and the rate was a little better. I was suprised to hear they denied you as my credit is terrible and I was approved.

I am actually changing this week to ESURANCE (www.esurance.com) as the rate is MUCH better.

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Progressive and Geico have high rates. I laughed at their quotes. State Farm doesnot pull credit report....fyi...

roni

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

yah state farm for me is $3000/year progressive was only $2700 so i had to stay with them..

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

progressive wanted 4500 from me. state farm is $2000. go figure. Philadelphia has the highest rates in usa. Higher than NYC and NJ. I couldnot believe it.

roni

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

JUST MY OPINION, AGAIN...driving has NOTHING to do with a credit report!!!

8. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Dang,

Where do you all live and *what* do you drive to pay $2-3K????
    My car insurance is only $800.00 per year. I have a Toyota...

just curious,

Marci

9. roni

roni Well-Known Member

In the big cities like NYC, Jersey, Philadelphia, DC car insurance rates are astronomical. A new car anyway with full coverage..

I live in philadelphia. Driving for 16 years no accidents. AND NO MOVING VIOLATIONS.

You only get those rates when you have liability only. I drive a 2000 mitsubishi.

roni

10. sam

sam Well-Known Member

??
    30 yr old 95 cavalier 500 deductible - 0 tickets
    20 yr old 01 jetta gls vr6 250 deductible - 0 tickets

my policy $750 Her policy $2000 :)

girls...

11. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Okay, I got it. :)

No wonder none of my friends from NYC own a car. Shoot, half of them never even bothered to
    get a license...

Hmm... there are some benefits to living in the south, after all.

:)

12. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Try Liberty Mutual

I see you're also in Atlanta!

They look at your driving record and there's no way they look at credit. I got a GREAT rate (cut my progressive rate by over a third even with a big ticket still on my record). Their payment play also doesn't have any fees (at lease mine doesn't). By the way, Progressive rates SUCK.

I shopped rates this year since my ticket dropped off. Even w/a perfect 3 year driving record, Progressive Preferred wanted more than double what Liberty Mutual wants. Try them today :)

13. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Well-Known Member

Roni, try Liberty Mutual

I don't know Liberty Mutual's policy on credit reports, but I know it give my credit-challenged person a policy. Roni, you know I live in Jersey, where insurance is sky-high and there aren't that many auto insurance options. (As a state, I think we have the nation's highest rates, though individual cities such as Philadelphia might be higher.)

Liberty Mutual was about half what the other insurance companies were quoting me. I even has a couple of accidents (not at fault, but a lot of companies don't seem to care now) on my record when I started with them.

What's up with Geico and Progressive? They used to have good rates.

When I lived in Seattle, the state insurance commissioner at the time said you should shop for new auto insurance quotes every year.

14. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Re: Roni, try Liberty Mutual

try electric insurance on line

15. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Re: Roni, try Liberty Mutual

my state farm rates are extremely low for philadelphia. I live in nice area. But 1 block away technically the suburbs and I would save even more. Most people pay $3K for insurance in philadelphia. I live in NJ for years and i got guotes there also. my mom lives there.

roni

16. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Auto Insurance

Erie Insurance out of Erie, PA is also a good one. I have them. Full coverage on a 99 Rodeo for $600 a year. No accidents, one ticket. They have never pulled my credit report and they have five payment plans to choose from. FYI I live outside of DC.

Dani

17. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Re: Auto Insurance-n pa.

My friends in DC pay less than me. Way less. I dont think I will get that rate. The probably with phili is People here dont carry insurance. It is a big state problem because penn has very lax driving without insurance laws. So the premiums are higher for those who carry it. There also alot of theft.

NYC and NJ will kick your butt for driving without insurance. Philadelphia actually has ads on tv and billboards begging people to get coverage. Isnot that pathetic. My assistant at work daughter just wrecked her 2000 cavalier. Guess what? She had no insurance and she let her daughter drive her car. Just something to think about...

roni

18. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Thats a crime to not have insurance! Those folks cause us to pay more for their mistakes i hate that! i pay for uninsured motorist because other peeps dont have insurance! ack! i must make more money :) thats the only solution. hehe. oh well.

Btw, my rate went down from $330 to $220 thats still a big accomplishment i spose!

progressive does have awesome service. they come to you. I can't deny that. Last time i got a chip in the window, they came and fixed the next day for $0. Prompt curteous agents, and service, i guess thats why i'll stick with them for now. I just wrote the policy on my gf's name. She is 20, they DON'T pull credit if you are under 21!!! cause my rate to go up $200/year but thats the price of bad credit i guess.

ack.
    they got a nasty note on planetfeedback.com too!

19. roni

roni Well-Known Member

BTW, i forget to mention, NYC law, if you get pulled over in NYC and dont have auto insurance....YOU GO TO JAIL. Does that make you feel better. I had 2 friends who spent the night in jail for this. I mean real jail with the killers. Can you imagine NYC jailcells. YIKES. I had friends do 180's when they see a road check..lol

This calls for an automatic nights stay in jail. NOW that is hardcore.

roni

20. river

river Well-Known Member

Re: Progressive

His premiums for 2000 Chevs-10 are:$1090.00 a year.Mine are $974.00 a year for 1995 Jeep.Yearly total:$2060.00.Monthly payments for 11 months are:$179.50.This is a joint policy.Think we could do better with seperate policies?