Interesting col. agency day for me

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by DaveLV, May 24, 2001.

1. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

There is a notation only on my Equifax report from a collection agency in California that I didn't recognize. I just assumed it was a mistake that that Lexington would dispute them off my report.

I called the agency today. It turns out it's from a dentist I saw in 1995 just before I left my employer for my new job. The person I got on the phone from the agency asked my new address and phone number but I wouldn't give it to them. The collection agency wouldn't give me the dentist's contact information but I was able to find it on the ADA website.

I called the dentist's office and they confirmed the balance. The company I used to work for has merged a couple of times since 1995 and I didn't feel like trying to get my old insurance to pay up. I offered to pay the amount due by credit card over the phone if they would ask the agency to remove the entry in Equifax but they said I had to deal with the CA.

I called the CA back and made the same offer. The person who answered told me they couldn't remove the item and wanted my address and phone number. I offered to pay one last time and hung up when they refused to delete.

I looked up the company on the San Diego BBB's website (good suggestion, Bill) and it looked like this agency is pretty clean. (The other agency from San Diego that has four duplicate entries in my Experian file is a mess with the BBB -- I added my own complaint about them while I was looking atound the site.) So I got the name of their president (also from the BBB website) and fired off a letter (using the online USPS certified mail -- I'll let you all know how it works out) saying they had three options:

1. Collect the money and delete the entry
    2. Collect no money and the entry will delete after the 7 year period ends next year
    3. Sue me -- spend money to do so and collect no money when I show up to argue the SOL has expired

I'll let you all know when I hear back from them. The online USPS certified mail thing was easy and cool.

2. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

No "or suffer the consequences"? ... Yea let us know how it turns out that sounds like a good set of options to me ... door #1 please.

-Dave

3. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I leave that line to the pros. Powerful stuff like that deserves respect.

4. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I'll be very interested to hear the results of this. I'm also glad to know how easy the online certified letter was.

Thank you for sharing...good information!

5. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

Dave,
    I think that is a really good technique that I used a lot when I first started this whole credit repair process. The longer I went on though, the more it seemed that I would run up the same wall of them lying to me. They would say things like"its against the law to remove items that are accurate'. Sometimes they would call me back a couple months later and ask for the deal. I loved that, but then I would tell them that I wanted a discount. Also, I used to send the letters with restrictive endorsements(you have to be careful with those because each state has different laws for those) and a check attached. If they cashed the check they either deleted it or they would after my reminder of the agreement. The longer I went on though, the more I realized that this was not effective due to the time constraints and other obstacles. Things have gone much more quickly with validation letters and it has been easier on the pocketbook. I am not implying that one should not pay back their creditors, but unfortunately they have usually profited somehow on your misfortune with insurance claims and tax writeoffs. This makes me feel alot less sorry for them and alot more sorry for my situation.

6. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I honestly feel bad about this one because I can honestly say that if I had known about it I really would have paid him. I got a toothache out of no where one day at work and I rushed out at lunch to find a nearby dentist. This guy was really nice about the whole thing and fixed me up really fast and without an appointment. The two weeks later I was transferred and a week after that I quit my job.

That sort of thing I don't mind paying for. I really wish his office had accepted my offer to pay them today. Since they didn't (and I would have read them my credit card number over the phone on the spot) I no longer feel any obligation. If the agency agrees to delete for payment -- fine. If not -- fine. It'll be off my report next year anyway.

I doubt that the agency would fail to verify this if Lexington disputes it now that I've called them out of the blue after six years and expressed interest in it, but at least I'll sleep a little better tonight.

7. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

Dave,
    I definately understand the moral dilemna. Being able to sleep well is good enough for me. Although it doesnt look like I will be sleeping any time soon due to the fact that I just drank a code red mountian dew. That was a mistake!

8. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Be that as it may, it' got to ba a lot better than what some others around here appear to be either drinking or smoking.

I'l bet that's a pretty popular opinion and will most likely be heartily seconded by many, maybe even by those apparently doing the smoking and the drinking.

Just watch the explosion of agreement I get with this post.

LOL