Interesting Coll. Ag. question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by hurricane5, May 12, 2001.

1. hurricane5

hurricane5 Well-Known Member

I just checked my CRs again, and found a collection agency notation for an account I had with Comcast communication. What happened was that in 1999, I moved about 60min away, and Comcast never came to pick up their cable box converters. So I called them and they said they would come to my new location and get them...never did. About a year later, I got a letter from them saying that I owed them $400+ for their two converters. I eventually drove to my old place and returned the converters. I recieved a letter (on site) saying that the account was satisfied, etc. A little while later, I received a letter from the CMI Group (coll. agency) saying "Our client has informed us that your account has been paid in full....we have notified the CRA to update your account"

Now I never heard from CMI before..but on my CR, that who has "cleared" my Comcast account. Should I call/write CMI and ask them to delete the account or what?

Thanks for your help...

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I would dispute the account with the credit bureaus as 'not yours' which is true.

I wouldnot send them a copy saying it was satisfied b/c the lazy credit bureau may just updated the account to a paid collection which is still bad.

I may call the original creditor (comcast) tell them what happened and fax the person a copy of the letter and explain exactly what happened removing all blame from yourself.

I think you will have no problem at all cleaning this up.

Please let us know how it goes.

3. hurricane5

hurricane5 Well-Known Member

Thanks Roni,

I'm going to call Comcast tomorrow, and see what they say...I still have all letters from them and CMI (of course)...

Maybe they'll give me some slack since they bought the cable company in my new area as well and I have my cable and cable modem service through them (on top of my Directv bill)...I just noticed that I spend a lot of money just to watch TV ;-)

Keep your fingers crossed for me...This collection account is the only blemish that I had in over 2 years...

Thanks!