Investigation/Verification Process

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Laray, Jun 10, 2001.

1. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I found the AG is not concerned about such things but rather or not an infraction of the law has been committed.

2. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Interesting!

I never have bothered to contact the AGs unless I had a valid complaint already.

3. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

It is valid when the CA breaks the law.

4. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Yep!

Can't find fault with that statement, that's for sure

5. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

All good points. But, I have one question.

How does an account get or be reported as a Chapter 13 or Chapter 11 when neither of these were filed against the creditor? A Chapter 7 was filed. The court record on my report is a Chapter 7. Right now I have 3 Houshold accounts reporting a Chapter 13 and one reporting a Chapter 11. I have the schedule of creditors that shows these creditors included in a Chapter 7. See this sends up all sorts of red flags to potential creditors. First they want to know if I filed a Chapter 13 first and then converted it to a Chapter 7. Then they get to the account that shows a Chapter 11 and they totally get strange looks on their faces. It's bad enough to have a Chapter 7, but then we you have former creditors that show the other Chapters in the BK law you are kinda screwed. I was hoping that if verification took place, that it would be corrected to the right Chapter. Right now I am really suprised that nothing is listed as a Chapter 12.

Well I think right now I have the attorney heading the firm I am using for my disputes looking into this, but I think it may come down to writing to TU. First, I do want proof of verification because I seriously do not think they even bothered. I would think that if they could not provide this after they stated on my updated report that they did, this would cause them to actually investigate it and I would still have a possibility of deletion. If they provide me proof of verification, then I could take it up at the source.

Now is there a well written letter out there that can be sent to TU requesting a proof of reverification or a link to one?

6. bbauer

bbauer Banned

You say you have an attorney working on your disputes?

Best thing to do is either let him do his job or fire him and do it yourself.

But as long as you have someone else working on your case, don't mess with it.

7. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

dlo, I have no idea..but I have something showing as a ch7 and mine is ch13. So I do understand! Keep us informed..:)

8. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

9. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Nana & Breeze,

Thanks for the info.

Nana, I think I would be a little more upset the way one of your accounts is listed as a Chapt. 7 when you filed a Chapt. 13. In the scoring model does an account listed as a Chapt. 13 take less points away than a Chapter 7? I know neither is good, but from a point standpoint is there a difference?

Breeze, the court record is correct. It is a Chapter 7. I just don't understand how a creditor can get the two mixed up. Well, we are talking about credit reporting so that probably answers the question. LOL

In 1999, my report was as accurate as it could be. I file a BK in 2000 and now as if the BK isn't bad enough. my report is screwed up and now I have to fight this whole thing out. I think the old saying that a BK can screw up your credit takes on a new meaning with me!

10. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I'll be correcting it after closing...I think you might be right! I have the paper issued to the creditor when we filed that clearly states Ch. 13..it's so dumb..because the evidence is right in front of them...
    however, these are beginning to drop off due to time...so maybe, just maybe, I won't need to bother.

11. Laray

Laray Well-Known Member

Experian verified an account from PECO (Philadelphia Energy Company) on my report. Ok thats fine and dandy, but I closed that account I moved out of my apartment last year 7/00, so why do they list the account as being closed by the credit grantor? It's only listed like that on Experian. Lexington is currently handling this, should I still call the energy company?

Also along with my investigation, on some credit reports, those accounts with adverse information are listed ahead of others. I had an account with Citibank, went through credit counselling with Ameridebt and I was late on my account (just a few days), they never reported it to any CRA's, but the account was closed by Citibank. This is not located in teh sctions with adverse information though. I would think it would still be bad that I have an account closed by the creditor, so how comes this isnt listed with the adverse information?

Thanks for all your responses!

12. KristyW

KristyW Well-Known Member

One thing you have to keep in mind when you have the CRAs investigate your disputes is that in the absence of any information provided to back up your dispute, they may just go with the word of the creditor. This may be what is happening with Experian vs. the other 2 CRAs. Equifax and TU may just be more lenient with "proof" or just plain lazy. People who have sent in proof (like a copy of their BK filing papers - at least the front page - to show which whether a BK is a Ch 7 or a Ch 13.) have had more luck, according to what people have written to me.