Is Diners Club Hard to Get?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jugnoo, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Jugnoo

Jugnoo Well-Known Member

I'm curious about this card because of its primary rental car collision coverage among other perks. Is it tough to qualify for this card? Also, do they report an "open line" to CRAs like Amex?

Thanks,
    Jugnoo

2. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Jug,I've never had a Diners Card,but from what I have read,it is a charge card with a 60 day grace period. It is not a revolving credit card,and it is issued by Citibank. It also has a 75 or 100 annual fee? I hear that it is also fairly hard to obtain?

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

PAY IN FULL
    Very few places take it...IF YOU THINK AMERICANEXPRESS AND DISCOVERCARD HAS ACCEPTABILITY PROBLEMS...

$80 for Primary Cardmembers
    $35 for each Additional
    Cardmember
    All charges made on this charge
    card are due and payable when
    you receive your periodic
    statement

http://www.citibank.com/dinersus/

4. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Is it hard to get? Yes- a little. $30k min. income + no derrogs. on the credit report and 1-2 established bank cards. One of the things I respect about Diners Club is that they will try to work with you - if the computer auto-declines, a person can override.

I'd give it a try - if you're a business traveler, it's the perfect T&E card.

The annual fee of $85 is easily "paid for" with the airline miles you'll earn - they never expire and can be xferred to any airline or hotel program on the planet.

There's also the 20% dining discount - you go to a participating restaurant, pay with the card, and on the statement (nobody at the restaurant knows - your receipts don't show it ) there's a automatic 20% discount. Kind of nice if you use it for business (20% in your pocket).

As for acceptance - people keep saying that it's not widely accepted, and I have to say (again) -- FOR BUSINESS TRAVEL, what else do you need except for

-every airline in the world
    -every major hotel in the world
    -every car rental in the world
    -every major theater (live stage, that is)
    -just about every good restaurant

In some countries (Brazil, Israel for instance), Diners is more widely accepted than VISA.

It's for T&E - not retail - although the retail list is growing (Nordstrom, Saks, Dillards,Brooks Brothers, CompUSA, BUY.com, PCMall, Tiger Direct).

Some other things that are nice- cash access - comes out of a credit line, not your checking account - 2 billing cycles to pay back, 4% up-front access fee, no interest or ATM fees.

Revolving line of credit - Club Plus - can be as low as 14.9% - not "great" but much lower than Amex "Extended Payment Option" account (you tranfer balances over from your card to the line of credit when you want - interest doesn't start until you transfer, so you still get your 2-billing cycle grace)-- this feature is GREAT when your expense reimbursements are delayed).

Good luck-
    mj

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

mj
    As for acceptance - people keep saying that it's not widely accepted, and I have to say (again)
    -- FOR BUSINESS TRAVEL, what else do you need except for

-every airline in the world
    -every major hotel in the world
    -every car rental in the world
    -every major theater (live stage, that is)
    -just about every good restaurant
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR THE "AVERAGE" JOHN AND MARY DOE...

VISA/MASTERCARD/AMERICANEXPRESS/DISCOVERCARD ARE BETTER CHOICES...
    BUSINESS TRAVELERS...IT'S FINE.

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

I applied for Diner's Club on the web and I got approved after two weeks.The customer services is very good like other Citibank customer services. By the way,you have to pay in full every month. Their acceptance is no wider acepted like Visa, Mastercard. I don't know how hard to get it and they didn't verify my adrees and employment since I had their Citibank Mastercards. They can verify it themselves.

Ron.

7. MiamiBlues

MiamiBlues Well-Known Member

Back in the 80's there was a Diners Club card issued through Amoco besides the regular gas card and the multi card. I don't know if they still offer it.

Manny

8. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Just about every retailer I've been to - in over 20 trips there- has accepted it.

Now, there are a lot of retailers that dislike accepting ANY credit card... so I always made sure I got some sheckles (with the Diners club card) at the airport!

Amex is not well accepted in Israel.

The reason Diners is so widely accepted is that one of the major banks (can't remember if it's Hapolim or Leumi) issues Diners Club as well as Visa . When they sign up a merchant for Visa, the merchant gets Diners as well.

THAT said - Visa and MC still are more widely accepted. Absolutely no argument there. In my experience - business travel - Diners has served me very well.

One plug for Amex -- lost my card in NYC last week. I was able to get a replacement (real, working) card in less than 2 hours right at the World Financial Center. Very impressive!

9. mj

mj Well-Known Member

George - I agree with you 100%.

I stick with my "credit credo" -- use what gives you the best return. For me, DC pays me back something like 20x my annual fee in miles/points. I think you figured out the best way to get $$ from Discover. That's what this whole game is about - getting the most for you and giving the least to THEM.

-mj
    certified "miles & points s*ut" and teaser-rate-hopper

10. Saar

Saar Banned

[]

11. Jugnoo

Jugnoo Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your insights and information.

MJ, I have decided to apply for this card. I'm certain I can derive significantly more value from this card than what I have to pay as annual fee.

I do have one derog on my TU. But let's see if Diners will attempt to "steal" a decade old Amex member.

Jugnoo

12. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Jugnoo-

If you get declined - call new accounts at 800-695-5171 (at least, that's what it was 6 years ago). Otherwise 800-2-DINERS. Ask for New Accounts.

They proved to be VERY helpful. If you have an explanation for the derrog., they'll listen.

Good luck!
    -mj