Is Gold and Platinum cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mother2, Mar 1, 2001.

1. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

considered as Prime cards?

2. me

me Well-Known Member

Not necessarily... Captial One offers GOld and Platinum cards for people with $200 credit lines.. I definitely would not consider that 'Prime'...

I would consider 'Prime' to me at have at least $2K in credit limit, APR at or below national average, plus extras (car insurance), etc.

3. S.D.

S.D. Guest

I think it depends more on the lender. For example, a Providian Gold is still considered sub-prime. I may be wrong about this, though.

4. ble103

ble103 Guest

No not neccessarely because their are alot of gold cards out there that has very small limits,and higher interest rates.Some platinum cards are starting to get high on interest rates like citibank's platinum select for an example.Their card can be high as 22.99% if your credit isn't that great,and the credit limit on their platinum card can be low as 1000.00.What is considered a prime card would be a card that has a low interest rate anywhere from 9.99% to 13.99% A.P.R. is good,also a good prime card includes a very low rate balance transfer offers ranging from 2.99% to 6.99% is great!Another way that a card is considered prime is the credit limit is well above the 5,000.00 minimum credit line anything less then that is not good.Also many prime cards has additional card benifits like car rental waiver,and travel accident insurance,etc.Well that's all i could tell you what defines a prime gold ,or platinum cards.Hope this helps answer your question.

5. Desmond

Desmond Guest

Gold or Platinum to me is having the extra protection on merchandise when you by something also having the option of paying off other credit cards that have higher interest or low balance that you just want paid off. I think Providian have a Gold card for sub primers but its all in the color not in the benefits of the Gold. My opinion.

6. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

If I get a Diamond card, will it be harder to break me?

: )

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

platinum and gold don't mean anything. I've seen gold cards as low as $200 and platinum as low as $1000.

Most of those cards carry extra benefits like travel/car rental insurance but thats about it.

Everyone has gold and platinum nowadays. I think the cap 1 gold card is extra cheesy for spelling out "GOLD" in big letters, kinda like wearing a sweatshirt with "FUBU" written on it.

8. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Gold and Platinum Cards

What's next, a Capital One FUBU card? :)

And I disagree with "me's" statement about $200 platinum cards from Capital One. Their Platinum Visa is their one decent card. When I complain about them, as I should, I am NOT referring to their platinum Visa. I intend to depart Capital One on good terms, because I want to be eligible for their platinum card someday.

9. FrEaK

FrEaK Guest

Re: Gold and Platinum Cards

Action Card has a low limit "Platinum" that could start as low as $200... Talk about CrAzY :)

10. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.

I think I'll keep my regular Visa and MC for a year. Then I'll think about "upgrading" to bigger and better things, once my credit is decent.