Is it a good idea to...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mother2, Apr 3, 2001.

1. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

pay your monthly bills using your credit card? I was thinking of setting up my small bills (gas, lights, phone, etc) on my credit card. That way, they wouldn't be late ;o)
    and I know they would be paid. Then at the end of the month I would pay the card off in one lump sum. What do you experts think? Pros.....Cons.....

Thanks.

2. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

As far as showing that you're using your credit, that's a great way. You just have to be disiciplined to keep that money in the bank and pay off what you charge.

Also, it might be best to use whatever card you're going to use, for THAT ONLY! Don't mix other types of charges on there.

And make sure your limits are high enough to cover those expenses each month (and the charges won't take you over the limit).

3. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

My boss also pays everything using his Amex rewards points CC (airline milage card). All bills all mortgage payments, all grocery...anything he can use cash for...since September of last year he has flown for free to Germany and Spain on 2 separate trips. Just remember that you were going to have to use cash...so keep the cash around in your bank acct ready to pay the CC bill and not fall behind on the monthlies which is way bad as you all know.

-Dave

4. mother2

Great! Thanks.

I was hoping the feedback would be positive. Yes, the card I use will be strictly for those bills alone. Hopefully, this technique will increase my score and credit limit. :eek:)

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Re: Great! Thanks.

I do the same thing except for rent. Post all your bills, and pay them off :) Work your credit.

6. mother2

Sam, has it helped

you increase your credit power?

7. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

Re: Sam, has it helped

I heard it does....by leaps and bounds. They want to see you USE it and be responsible with it. Watch those scores after about 6 months...THRU THE ROOF...provided you do as Dave and I have said...keep that cash and pay it off.

It would help if you get some other benefit from it (i.e. frequent flyer miles, cash back)..something!

Good luck!

8. mother2

I wish I could but

I'm still in "sub-prime" world. No specials for me. :eek:(

9. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Nave & Mother2

Nave: How is your boss able to use his Am/Ex card to pay everything? I would like to do that but can't because some of my bills don't accept Am/Ex. I read a post on this board how Am/Ex has some program where you can pay your bills using your Am/Ex card but I didn't get the full details. Is this really true?

Mother2: I usually pay my bills on-line using my checking account. I would like to exersize my credit and pay my bills. How do you plan to do this? Can you explain your plan?

Thanks,
    MP$40

10. Cadillac408

Re: Nave & Mother2

What about going to 7-11 and purchasing money orders (up to $500) for $0.99 with your credit card and then mail them the money orders? Has anyone tried that? I'm sure it would work and luckily it wouldn't come up as a cash advance on your statement. That seems to be a hassle though.....but people might be willing to do it for the miles or whatever...

11. Sandra

Sandra Guest

I tried to get money orders from the post office and they will not let you use a credit card - only debit or atm cards for money orders.

12. Cadillac408

Good point! But what about a grocery store or some place that you can buy money orders from and use your credit card? I'm sure you MIGHT be able to "fall through the cracks"????? I think I'm going to try it just to see...

Cobaltcard wouldn't not work in this case due to the $100 max ATM withdrawl/day ($300 max per week). I guess you could do that for small bills??

13. mother2

MP$40: Most of my bills (cell phone, lights, etc) have monthly draft and/or automatic payment options. I'm going to use my credit card so that the Creditors can bill and receive their payment each month. Then I will pay off the credit card in full. I figure this will help me in a number of ways, including having a good payment track record. :eek:)

14. racinut88

racinut88 Well-Known Member

Ask CC company for checks and mail them to mortgage company....