Is it easy to get cars with th

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Melissa, Feb 25, 2001.

1. Melissa

Melissa Well-Known Member

that offer everyone qualifies no matter what places. WE desparately need a minivan for our family but of course we have awful credit but are working on it. WE also need a reliable minivan so I want to be able to get at least a 97 or above model with low mileage. What do you think? And what should I expect at the dealership? How should I approach this also?
    thanks for the advice in advance,
    Melissa

2. mvfl

mvfl Guest

RE: Is it easy to get cars wit

You may be able to get the fincancing they advertise for, but at VERY high interest rates. My interest is 22%. However, after 8 months or more of on-time payments you could try to refinance for a lower rate.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

YOU MAY NOT LIKE THE INTEREST RATE...

You won't get 0.00-9.99%.
    But hopefully it will be less than 21.00%.
    I hope you are not dreaming.

I am looking at a 93 van, $2,495.
    97 MUST BE OVER $10,000.

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

VAN I LOOKED AT (OOPS) $6,000, IF IT MATTERS.

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Stay away..

You will surely get a car with a high price and interest rate. If you have damaged credit, you are better off getting a loan online and then going to the dealer. There are many reputable websites to search. I got my loan from www.householdauto.com with 13.9% interest rate. I found my car at www.autobytel.com.

roni

6. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Try Ford

they have good rates for bad credit

7. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

RE: Try Ford

But they keep lousy payment records. Stay away from Ford if you value your credit rating.

8. peeper

peeper Guest

RE: there is a catch to those

They will finance you if you put a high downpayment and make a certain amount of money each week.

9. Melissa

RE: there is a catch to those

Okay thanks for the advice everyone. WE aren''t buying for another few months yet but we do have a tradein too so the down payment won't be such a huge ouch. I am too nervous to try household because of some of the people that tried and were declined. I think my credit isn't good enough for household. This minivan is a necessity since we have 4 children and our current family car is only a 5 passenger. So we get stuck taking two cars when all 6 of us go out. Anyway, we are just going to start calling and window shopping and asking around.
    thank you again for your advice and I just wanted to see if anyone has used them and what kind of deals they got.
    :) Melissa

10. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

I went to Ford and they denied me. I was looking at the Explorer. Maybe the type of vehicle had something to do with it. But I was denied. Told me that I had just missed the 600 mark. I eventually went back to my CU and got approved.

Also, I've gone to the Kia dealerships and they told me I had to put 75% down. Is that proposterous or what???

11. mvfl

mvfl Guest

75%? I'm sure if you had that much cash on hand, you wouldn't be shopping for a KIA! What in the heck are some of these dealers thinking? They just want to get as much $ out of you as possible.

12. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

Melissa -

Most of the used car dealers offering this are going to require a downpayment in the amount they paid for the car - Expect $1,000.00 or more on a $6,000.00 vehicle.
    Many don't report to credit reporting agencies and be very careful that you get some sort of guarantee in writing if buying from a used car dealer.

The majority of a used car dealers inventory was purchased at auction, or in bulk from a new car dealers trade in inventory. It is not uncommon for a new car dealer to sell off trade ins that they do not want on their lot due to condition for a relatively small amount.

Also be careful as many of these dealers will have inventory from "donations". When a person "Donates" an unwanted car to a charity for tax purposes, the charity sells the car to one of these dealers for a flat rate in most cases.

Trading in a car is a bad idea. You will realize much more return by selling your car on your own. Every dealer will find a way to write the trade in value of the car back into your financing or the price of the car you purchase. This is why you see ads "guaranteed $1,000.00 trade in - push pull tug or tow".

If you purchase from a new car dealer, this is where you will likely end up with a very high APR on your loan. The dealer will send your application out to a list of lenders to try to get approval, working his way down until he receives someone willing to finance you.

13. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Credit Union

Melissa,

Try your Credit Union. The always have low rates and reliable sources.

Reshod

14. Melissa

RE: Credit Union

Thanks again Hal and Reshod for your information. I really appreciate it.
    Melissa

15. jpm

jpm Guest

RE: Credit Union

I recieved a loan through household. The terms suck but I needed the car.
    They had actually denied me prior to going to the dealer. But the dealer was able to get the financing done. 1,000 down for 16,000 loan