is it possible to get true acctsoff

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by star, Nov 7, 2001.

1. star

star Well-Known Member

sad to say, but all my negs are accurate, I have sent validation letters to the credit agencys, is there hope of getting them off still?

2. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Yes. It is not at all difficult to get them off. Sending validation letters to the credit agencies is not a great way to go. First of all, I assume that you just inadvertently used the term "validation" above and that you know that credit bureaus are under no obligation whatever to validate a debt. They are only required to verify that the debt exists and that the report is accurate. Validation is a much higher standard and is imposed upon the 3rd party collectors. The creditor is not required to validate the debt unless it is demanded of them by the collector or attorney. The only way that the debtor can actually demand validation of the creditor is through a court action or demanding it of the collector or the collector's attorney.

Now then, that's only if you want to get down to splitting fine hairs or if a creditor got dumb enough to claim he wasn't subject to FDCPA and therefore did not have to validate the debt. That does happen on rare occasions, but so rarely that it's almost not worth the discussion. Most creditors go along with it because they realize that they could be forced to prove the debt if they were to go to court for whatever reason over the issue. It's just not worth their argueing about in most cases so they just go ahead and make a stab at sending some kind of answer to a demand for validation.

I have found that if you keep working at it, you can get maybe 30 to 50 percent of your derogatiories off your credit reports by simply disputing them or finding errors of some kind in their reports.

You can do it yourself and you don't need to pay a credit repair company to do it for you. You can get as many derogatories off by yourself as they can.