Is Ordering FICO Online Safe?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Tim, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Tim

Tim Guest

For those of you who have ordered your FICO score online, is it REALLY safe?

I mean, can't some hacker be watching you type in your info?

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

3. Tim

Tim Guest

Re: Is Ordering FICO Online Sa

So are you saying you trust it and don't even have a 1% fear of your info going out?

4. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I have a 75% fear of the waiter at Denny's stealing my credit card number when I pay.

I have a .000000000000000001% fear of hackers on the internet watching me type information to get my FICO score.

Worry about things that are probable, not just possible. Life is easier that way! :)

5. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I'm still kind of chuckling about this as I am getting ready to go to sleep. I can just hear Mr. T in my head saying "I PITTY the fool who hijacks DaveLV's credit!"

6. BlueVegas

BlueVegas Active Member

Yo...Someone in Vegas stole my Visa Checkcard number a few weeks ago and emptied my account out. I eventually got all my money back, but I did feel violated.

BadClerksNVegas

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Someone can break into your house, a drunk driver can crash into your car, you can grow old and die..

all of those have great odds of happening than crime against you online..

I am 100% confident with the internet, well 99%. Actually,one of my cards was stolen online , and capital one took care of it completely.

Never use your "check card" online, thats a big nono, use a credit card. My advice, keep one charge card for online use only, that way you can watch your transactions like a hawk, I do this anyways.

good luck!

8. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Tim, if you really want to be on the safe side use a firewall when you surf the net. Of course, the 128 bit SSL is very good for secure sites, but this along with a firewall will dramatically reduce your chances of getting hacked. Of course, some intelligent hackers can break through firewalls, but this is very difficult and time consuming. These guys would rather hack Swiss bank accounts rather than take the trouble to get the average high tech surfer.

9. newcomer 2

newcomer 2 Guest

Better yet a Firewall and A top notch security program, Tracks hackers down and reports them . As a Cable User I get about 5 hack attempts per day . !
    Best of luck

10. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I use a firewall and you can download it free from http://www.zonealarm.com I think. If that link takes you nownere, try searching for zone alarm. Good Luck,
    Erica

11. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Well-Known Member

safer than a cordless phone

Using a credit card on the web is one of the safest ways to use it. Think of the security risks of other card uses:

1) Cordless phone. It's pretty easy to listen in to these conversations -- especially if you have an older or less advanced phone. It's a lot easier than breaking 128-bit encryption.

2) Using it at a restaurant. Like DaveLV said, any member of the staff could write down your number, or a carbon could be stolen from the trash. Not a very hard to accomplish crime.

3) Using it in a store. Some clerks have scanners that can read the magnetic strip on the back on your card and store your credit info. All they need to do is distract you for a minute, so they can swipe your card through their reader.

Not that online card usage is totally safe, but you help yourself a lot by downloading the high-security version (128-bit) of your browser. Then stick with sites that are reputable and use secure ordering. The biggest online problem isn't someone stealing your credit card number; it's someone who takes your money and doesn't deliver what was promised (i.e., a con artist).

12. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: safer than a cordless phon

I agree 100% re the restaurant issue. I looked at my check yesterday
    and it had my full account number, expiration date and my full
    name typed as it appeared on that card. Anybody could simply
    use that receipt and buy via phone/internet whatever they wanted.

It's to the point that I always hand my receipt directly to the
    waiter now. I don't leave it on the table.

But then, the waiter of his/her colleagues could steal the receipt
    and do the same thing.

:-(

Marci

13. Tim

Tim Guest

Re: Thanks Erica & Mike

Looks like you two were the ones who were TRULY helpful. I thank you.

As to the wiseguy, yes, I know someone could break into my house and I could get hit by a drunk driver.

I could also get so pissed off at your response, hunt you down and kill you. j/k :)

Thanks you guys, this site is great!