Is Providian Next To Gouge?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by David, May 11, 2000.

1. David

David Well-Known Member

Would anyone care to speculate whether or not Providian will be the next sub prime card to charge up to half for a credit line increase (CLI)?

I hope Providian is serious about their new customer service upgrade and graduating their customers to better offers and better cards.

The Orchard Bank CLI fiasco has me worried.

Any thoughts?

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: Is Providian Next To Gouge

Providian charged me 99.oo for a 1,300.00 increase so it all seems to me is a company trying to make more money. You accept or you don't.

3. Henry

Henry Guest

Providian is bad and I do not think they will ever change.

4. BOB

BOB Guest

Providian is alot better than they used to be, and are still 100 times better than CROOKS COUNTRY BANK, and others. Yes their rate is alittle high and they do charge for CLI's but their customer service has improved
    alot after a few law suits. Now if we could only get rid fo CCB the world would be a better place.

5. Eric

Eric Guest

Henry wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Providian is bad and I do not think they will ever change.
    ----

I respectfully disagree. I consider them one of the best sub-prime cards out there. They are fair, and rapidly increase your credit line. Oh..there's one thing: You have to pay on time every month.

This is supported by many regulars on this board, many of whom are far more experienced than myself.

Guys, listen up. When you have credit that puts you in the sub-prime category, you are going to have to pay money for credit.

There is no jackpot. The only way out of the hole you are in is to position yourself to reflect a good history. It takes time, some money, a lot of patience, and a little luck.

6. BOB

BOB Guest

Eric I agree with most of what you said except the part about paying on time, yes you have to pay on time no matter what, but some banks like CROOKS COUNTRY BANK and
    others it doesn't matter, they will hold payments, lose payments etc. If you have a problem with payments send it return receipt
    requested. Some sub-prime lenders are out
    to steal you blind because they know you don't have the money to fight them or pay your balance in full. So document everything
    you do with them.

7. James

James Guest

I disagree about Providian, they gave me a chance after I filed BK. I started with a 500 credit line and now I am up to 1800 I have no complaints they post my payments on time it usually in about 4 days after I mailed it. I am working toward there Gold Card. I don't know how long it would take to get one but I get excited about sending in my payments to them. If it keeps going on with the hearty credit line increase in a years time I should be up to 5000.

8. Eric

Eric Guest

Yes, quite true. I was referring more specifically to Providian.

However, I have found (even with CCB) that if you post your payment the day you get the bill (even if just for the minimum), I have no problems.

Don't start flaming me about CCB, I know the popular opinion, and I agree that they are snakes.

Of course, most of the sub-prime lenders time things nicely so even when your bill arrives you only have a week or two to get the payment in.

However, some of the sub-prime lenders, such as Orchard, even give you the same payment grace period (a few days) that sub prime prime lenders allow.

Bottom line: Send the payment the day you get the bill. Even if you send the minimum then, and a larger payment later, it will save you a lot of hassle and aggravation.

9. Len

Len Guest

It did take a media expose and a San Francisco DA's investigation to get Providian to admit to a late posting problem, which many oldtimers may also recall. I applied for the Aria card when Providian was taking real heat and it's been excellent.

10. BRIAN HATC

BRIAN HATC Guest

FORGET GOUGING THEY'RE THEIVES

FORGET GOUGING THEY'RE THIEVES!!!

11. David D

David D Guest

James- How many payments did you make before you received your first credit line increase? How much did they offer you?

David

12. JP

JP Guest

Amen, I always suggest paying the bill the day you get it! Don't put it off, pay it early and check 5 days later to see if its posted.

Regards,
    JP

Eric wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Yes, quite true. I was referring more specifically to Providian.

However, I have found (even with CCB) that if you post your payment the day you get the bill (even if just for the minimum), I have no problems.

Don't start flaming me about CCB, I know the popular opinion, and I agree that they are snakes.

Of course, most of the sub-prime lenders time things nicely so even when your bill arrives you only have a week or two to get the payment in.

However, some of the sub-prime lenders, such as Orchard, even give you the same payment grace period (a few days) that sub prime prime lenders allow.

Bottom line: Send the payment the day you get the bill. Even if you send the minimum then, and a larger payment later, it will save you a lot of hassle and aggravation.

13. FISH

FISH Guest

I agree with Eric, Providian is pretty good.
    I started with a $1000. limit and 18 months later I have a $5000 Gold card from them. As long as you pay on time and a little over the minimum they are of no trouble as I see it. The key is ON TIME AND EXTRA even if it is only ten dollars over. They also lowered my APR by 4% so that was pretty good. As for CCB I have had a Silver card from them for over two years, never late and always pay more that due, only one time was the payment messed up on THEIR part. They cancelled that card number and sent me a new number at my request and have sent increases regularly, some have a fee and some are $500 and NO FEE.
    The card that was messd up was their fault and on my credit report it shows as a 1 rating and closed at my request. I've read numerous horror stories but I have not had any problem and now have a $3000. limit.

14. Eric

Eric Guest

Fish,

Have you gotten CCB to drop the annual fee?

15. FISH

FISH Guest

CCB did not drop the annual fee have you tried that one? Providian did drop the APR good though

16. Eric

Eric Guest

What's your Providian APR? I got them down to I think 18.9, and they say that's as far as they can go. Personally, I don't really care about the APR as I'm not really carrying balances, but it's nice to have them low in case I do.

I'm tempted to threaten to cancel, but I don't make hollow threats, and I like the card. They have been nothing but good to me.

I'm cancelling cards by the lowest limits first as new higher limit cards are issued..closed three in the last two months. Unfortunately, CCB has a higher limit than Orchard. So I have an issue there.

I'd like to close the CCB account on principal, but the credit limit ratio effect would be more negative than closing orchard.

Either way, I'll close them both if they don't waive annual fees.

17. James

James Guest

To David D ---- I had my card since Nov first bill was due Dec and April came and thats when they gave me a 300 Credit line increase and a week later I recevied an upgrade of 1000 for a fee.