Is Providian really as good as

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by S.D., Nov 7, 2000.

1. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Everyone on the board has said something positive about Providian, but I have heard that accepting a card from Providian is like going to hell. Also, a friend of mine tried to pay off the whole balance and they would not let her. I was approved for the Providian Gold, but after I heard the negative info, I don't know if I should accept the offer because I would like to pay off the balance everytime (especially with no grace period). Has anyone had any trouble with Providian?

2. dave

dave Well-Known Member

RE: Is Providian really as goo

Recently, Providian settled with the Office of the Controller of the Currency, the San Francisco District Attorney and the State of Connecticut for engaging in unfair business practices. Some of the abuses alleged in that lawsuit were late posting and slamming accounts with credit protection.

I have had an account with Providian since 1996 and never experienced these problems or any other problem dealing with them.

3. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Well, I have had Providian Classic for about 10 months. I don't have any complaints about them. And definitely you can pay the whole balance. That's what i do every time.

They are also quick with line increases... I've had two until now (from 500 to 1100).

Haven't talk too much to their CS so I cannot tell you anything about it.

4. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go ahead and get the card =D

5. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Grace periods

I have another question for you guys.
    Since I have never had a credit card I was wondering...if you had no grace period, does the interest start immediately after you charge?

6. dave

dave Well-Known Member

RE: Grace periods

Yes, this is the least attractive feature of this card. However, with good payment history, Providian will give you a grace period if you ask.

7. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

No problems here....

I have had the Providian Gold since June 2000 (started w/ $300 secured w/ $49). Last month I received a free line increase of $100. This month they sent me an upgrade offer for $500 ($49 fee but $50 is added to your line to make up for that). I accepted so now my limit is $950.

Every time I call customer service and speak to a live rep (3 times now), I have always been treated VERY WELL! The last time I called, the lady sat and talked w/ me on the phone and listened to me VENT about Citibank increasing my APR 2 seconds after I had it lowered! She was very nice and understanding. Then I told her how my ex contributed to ruining my credit and she gave me advice on how to maintain my account w/ Providian. She said never pay late, stay at least $50-100 under your limit, and pay way more than the minimum and Prividian will be good to you. They don't care about your other credit situations too much....just your relationship with them.

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Providian like many subprime companies are great at extending credit. But if you mess up, they are unforgiving. They are not the ones to play around with. They are not the guys to be understanding if you lose your job, have an accident and miss payments etc. You have to dot your i's and cross your t's with this company. And when you do that they will quickly increase your credit limit and report good things about your to credit bureau, thus improving your credit worthiness. I like providian so far. Cardcarrier since 4/00. Started with $500 limit. Today 11/00 $2530.

9. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

RE: Grace periods

Yup, that's the worst part of this card...
    Anyway, it's good for starters, and you can
    get a grace period after some time with them
    I'm planning to ask for this soon